Openning Files From Shared Mac Drive Slow and Unstable?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BillH2, Mar 30, 2016.

1. BillH2

BillH2 Bit poster

Hello-
    Anyone else notice that opening files from a mac shared folder is both slow and unstable. This has been happening for years under parallels and through almost all the version.
    Symptoms:
    - Openning files from a shared mac folder into Windows is just slower... By about 20% than natively within the guest OS drive
    - Huge problem... opening large excel files displays a message the file is in use even though it is not.
    - This whole problem is amplified and very consistent if the shared folder is a mac dropbox folder
    Setup:
    - Version 10.3.0 (I've tried 11 and it still happens)
    - Mac OS 10.11.1 - But its done this with every mac os I've used
    - Windows 7 - everything 100% totally up to date- Again, this has always happened no matter what version of Win I use... even 10.

Thoughts?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello BillH2, please check out this article to fix the issue and let us know how it works.

3. BillH2

BillH2 Bit poster

Hey Paul- Thanks for the help, but this article is referring not being able to get any access to shared cloud drives at all. I'm just noticing problems (slow) opening XLS files.

Thanks.

4. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hello @BillH2,
    Please try reinstalling Parallels Tools followed this step.
    Then to improve performance click here for a solution.
    Let us know if this help?

5. BillH2

BillH2 Bit poster

Hi Raj- Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried both re-installing Tools and Parallels. Even tried updating to the latest parallels, still slow.

Thx!

6. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Have you tried this steps to improve Windows virtual machine performance?