Oracle 12c Database Installation Fails

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidG2, Dec 11, 2016.

1. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

I have tried to install Oracle database into a number of Guest operating systems including Windows 7, Windows 10 and Centos. There always seems to be a problem when the installer gets to the Oracle Network Config step. I have tried all the different network config options within Parallels without any success. There must be something which is causing the problem and I can't believe I'm alone with this problem. I am running Parallels 11 on a MacBook Pro 15 (wifi only) using OS Sierra. I did try the same install some time ago when I was running Yosemite and EL Capitan with no success.

2. DavidS32

DavidS32 Junior Member

Any answers?

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi DavidS32, are you getting any error message while the installer gets to the Oracle Network config step? Please share the screenshot of the error and we will help!

4. DavidS32

DavidS32 Junior Member

I get ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error during that step. I get the same thing when I try to create a DB manually using the DBCA. The lsnrctl command also fails. I installed 12c on a Windows 10 pc and it was no problem, but on Parallels it isn't working (same install file).

5. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

I get the same as DavidS32 above. The installer just gets stuck and never progresses. You have to consult the log files to find an error message. I have a suspicion it's something to do with only having a single physical network port which is being used by the host and guest (irrespective of networking mode). I think I may have had success in the past if I had a physical ethernet cable connected to the laptop and the wifi enabled. However that only worked while both were connected - so it I rebooted without the 2nd connection Oracle would not work.

6. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

I have attached a screen dump at the point where the installer always gets stuck.

Attached Files:

7. DavidS32

DavidS32 Junior Member

So, I just installed the Oracle software and tried to use the Database Configuration Assistant to create the database instance (running as administrator). I always get an ORA-12560 error. At first I couldn't get the Listener to work, but after much tinkering I got that to work. The Listener starts and is running, but still can't create a db. Also the Oracle service (after 2 install attempts) doesn't exist in my Windows services. I had to add it manually, and it's runnable. I'm about to move to VMWare Fusion, as some of my colleagues had no issues installing Oracle 12c on their VM.

Using the exact same installation files, I installed Oracle 12c on a Windows 10 pc. It took a few minutes, where the install on W10 / Parallels takes a long time like you're seeing. It eventually finishes, but the DCA takes a long time for some reason and eventually chokes.

8. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

I have to admit that this combined with the rather poor comments about version 12 I might also be moving to vmware

9. DavidS32

DavidS32 Junior Member

I'd love to know if someone has accomplished this successfully. Sadly installing it on the W10 PC was simple, error free, and took like 15 minutes, I just don't like the PC for development.

10. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

I have just purchased Vmware Fusion 8.5 Pro and I've converted a basic clean Windows 10 install I had running as a Parallels 11 vm. I will try an Oracle 12c install report back my results.

11. DavidS32

DavidS32 Junior Member

Nice, let me know how it goes.

12. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

Well I've made a little progress with Parallels 11. I have created a new VM with Windows XP Pro SP3. I have then been able to install Oracle 11g Enterprise version. The only difficulty I had was making sure than when I created the hardware spec for the VM I had to specify only 1 CPU. If you leave it at the default of 2 then the windows installer blue screens. The oracle database installed without any issues. Of course if you need Oracle 12c then you can't use Windows XP and your stuck with the original problem above.

13. DavidS32

DavidS32 Junior Member

Thanks for the update.

14. DavidS32

DavidS32 Junior Member

15. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

Well I hope you find a workaround as like yourself I've spent a lot of time and money trying to get what should be a simple config working without any luck.

16. amontepaone

amontepaone Bit poster

Same Problem here. Created Support-Case in August 2016. Response was: "It is a Error that will be solved". Since then no news.
    is the Support still investigating?

17. DavidS32

DavidS32 Junior Member

Any solutions yet?

18. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Try isolating the virtual machine and check.

19. DavidS32

DavidS32 Junior Member

Same result

20. Aleks1

Aleks1 Bit poster

Have you got any solution for the problem?