Outlook PSTs cannot be opened shared folder or not C:\ - build 9310 & 9344 Win7+2010

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KeurimS, Apr 7, 2010.

1. KeurimS

KeurimS Bit poster

Outlook PSTs cannot be opened shared folder or in C:\ - build 9310 & 9344 Win7+2010

Hi Parallels,

[PLEASE REFER TO THIS THREAD - the beginning of my problem. http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=99811&page=2 ]

-----------------------------------------------------

When I upgraded to 9344 last month, my Outlook 2010 could not open my PSTs on shared mac folder.

So I downgraded to 9310, and it seemed to have fixed the problem - UNTIL LAST NIGHT, that is.

This morning, turned on my computer (having done nothing different!!!!), opened Outlook and TWO of my PSTs could not be opened. [Still Build 9310]

So, this morning I decided to upgrade to 9344 with the patched Tools.

I installed 9344, and installed the updated Tools as directed on the forum here [http://kb.parallels.com/en/8296] .

My Outlook STILL CANNOT OPEN the two of the psts.

PST A = only 80Mb
    PST B = only 15Mb

AS THE FULL-ACCESS PRIVILEGED ADMINISTRATOR, I TRIED: [After upgrading to 9344 +new Tools]

* Copying my PSTs to PC C:\ then trying to "reinstate" them to my email accounts inside Outlook
    It didn't work.
    SAYS "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\Folder\mymail.pst"

* Going into my Outlook Account Settings, then "adding a new data file" - point to the file C:\Folder\mymail.pst
    SAYS "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\Folder\mymail.pst"

* Going into my Outlook Account Settings, then "adding a new data file" - point to the file \\.psf\Home\Documents\Outlook Files\mymail.pst
    SAYS "The file \\.psf\Home\Documents\Outlook Files\mymail.pst is not an Outlook data file (.pst)."

* In Outlook Account Settings, double clicked the pst in question.
    SAYS "An unknown error occurred, error code: 0x80040119.

I TRIED EXACTLY THE SAME AGAIN after downgrading back to 9310.
    AS THE FULL-ACCESS PRIVILEGED ADMINISTRATOR, I TRIED: [no new Tools]

* Copying my PSTs to PC C:\ then trying to "reinstate" them to my email accounts inside Outlook
    It didn't work.

* Going into my Outlook Account Settings, then "adding a new data file" - point to the file C:\Folder\mymail.pst

* Going into my Outlook Account Settings, then "adding a new data file" - point to the file \\.psf\Home\Documents\Outlook Files\mymail.pst
    SAYS "The file \\.psf\Home\Documents\Outlook Files\mymail.pst is not an Outlook data file (.pst)."

* In Outlook Account Settings, double clicked the pst in question.
    SAYS "An unknown error occurred, error code: 0x80040119.

I have not done anything different. I had put my laptop to sleep, went to bed, woke up, turned on the laptop.

The only thing was, that for some unknown reason I had to "hard restart/reset" the laptop (via powerbutton) because laptop went "blank" - i.e., wouldn't wake up from sleep.
    I had Parallels and Outlook open last night when I put it to sleep.
    I have done that many times without any problems the next day, what so ever!!!!
    And of course there shouldn't be any issues doing that!

Please kindly assist. Please urgently.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I've found the one time that I had a persistent malfunction of the VM (a while ago and not related to your problem) what really helped was to re-install the Parallels tools, de-install Parallels, reboot the Mac, re-install Parallels latest build, and then the latest tools (in this case, the patched (hotfix) tools).

Fingers crossed.

3. KeurimS

KeurimS Bit poster

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- RESOLVED - DATA FILE WAS CORRUPTED BY PARALLELS - Fixed it with Outlook Inbox Repair Tool (SCANPST.exe) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- P.S.Thanks Shaddam IV for getting back to me! thank goodness hey! Will keep your note in mind.

4. dgrilli

dgrilli Bit poster

Thank you folks so much as I had the same problem. I also used the Outlook Inbox Repair Tool (SCANPST.exe) and it worked like a charm. Also Parallel's is the best I'm running 6, and Works so well on My Macbook Pro 17inch, Core i7 that it feels like a native app right in Mac OSX.

Great Program and thanks again.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi dgrilli, thanks a lot for the provided information and workaround.