Outlook reminders don't work after resume suspended VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DoniK, Jan 10, 2019.

1. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

I backup my Win10 VM each night with a script that suspends the VM first, runs the backup, and resumes the VM after. Every day I find my Outlook reminders stop working unless i restart Outlook. Has anyone else experienced this?

PD 14.1, the latest Outlook 365, but this happened in earlier versions of both too. Just hadn't though to post about it. (Automating an Outlook restart each morning would be tricky, if I have messages in progress, so isn't ideal.)

2. Hi, @DoniK did you try some troubleshooting steps for Outlook reminders? Could you please try these steps?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Uhhhm, that link is to an article about Hulu... can you repost the link?

4. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Thanks. I don't have this registry key, which according to the doc means by default reminders are turned on. And again, they work normally when I restart Outlook. So it's something caused by suspend/resume.

However, I've manually set the registry key to see if that makes a difference. And I've also run Outlook with the /cleanreminder switch to clear & regenerate reminders. Will report back.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Maria@Parallels likes this.
  5. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Nope, didn't help. After resuming from suspend, reminders are still not working right until I restart Outlook.

(Since updating to Office 365 I've also noticed that sometimes my Office theme color reverts to default after resume and I have to change it back to my preference. But a quick search tells me that is a common Office 365 complaint and this reminders issue predated Office 365, was also an issue with Office 2016.)

6. @DoniK Iwent through some articles and found this workaround:
    setting the registry key value "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\UI Theme" to 0 upon startup.

(it was tested on Windows 10 Pro. Office version 2016 MSO (16.0.7830.1018) 32-bit. )

Also found that several customers submited a bug report about the issue with theme color changes

7. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Update:
    1. The Office color theme seems to be sticking now. I think one of MS's O365 auto updates must have fixed that.
    2. I think I finally figured out the Outlook reminders issue: it seems to be caused by a Cortana bug. I manually disabled Cortana in the registry (recent Win10 builds no longer allow this from the UI) and it's been good for a few days so far.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  8. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Oh well, seems disabling Cortana wasn't the panacea after all; the Outlook reminders issue persists.