Parallel as a Windows emulator for Mac

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by sabj, Dec 19, 2020.

1. sabj

sabj Bit poster

Hi, I installed Parallel in order to use it as a windows emulator because I need to download and install a game launcher that requires windows. It seems using only parallel is not enough, should I install bootcamp as well ? Unless I missed something since I'm not too good at those kinda stuffs :p

2. Quarfie

Quarfie Bit poster

Parallels is not an emulator. Your Mac already had x86 CPU, so it's ready to run a copy of Windows without any emulation being necessary.

There are two ways to run Windows on Mac. You can either A) Use Parallels and install/run Windows as a virtual machine, or you can partition your drive and use Bootcamp to run Windows directly on the hardware (meaning you have to reboot every time you want to switch between Windows/Mac).

Whether you decide to run Windows as a virtual machine in parallels, or directly on your hardware with Bootcamp, you need to install a copy of Windows... maybe that's the step you're missing?

3. sabj

sabj Bit poster

Oh... right... I guess you're right, I haven't installed Windows yet. I remember I saw somewhere that there's a way we can download an image of it for free but I can't find it anymore :/ Would that image work for what I want to do ? If so, do you know what website allows to download such thing ? Ty.