Parallels 10 asks for "activation" after several years of use

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TheT4, Nov 12, 2019.

1. TheT4

TheT4 Bit poster

Here is the timeline:

1. In about 2016 I upgraded to Mac OS X Mavericks, from Snow Leopard. Almost immediately I activated Parallels 10 (a download activated according to instructions in an empty box) and created a VM for Snow Leopard Server, to run older software.

2. 2 years ago I upgraded from an iMac i5 to an iMac i7, but didn't change OS (still 10.9.5, as now).

3. In 2018 I changed my email address as the ISP ended their email service. Through all of this I continued to use Parallels 10, and was running 3 VMs (10.6.8, Sierra, and recently I set up a Mavericks VM "to see if I could").

4. Last week, the i7 hard drive failed so I went back to the i5, cloning the i7 to it. (Same OS and software, no changes).

Today I tried to launch one of the VMs and got this error:

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 15.09.09 copy.jpg

However, this makes no sense as I activated Parallels years ago, and have never been asked to do so since.

Theory: Parallels has detected a change of machine and requires reactivating. When my i7 comes back from repair, the problem will disappear and things will run smoothly like before. Is this a good theory? If not, what should I do?

2. Hi, could you please provide us with your license key via the private message?