Parallels 10 GPU Use [48902522]

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Chris Connor, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Chris Connor

Chris Connor Bit poster

I want to be able to use Windows 8.1 on my mac with only the integrated GPU in use when I'm on the battery. However this latest (final release) build seems to force the discrete GPU on no matter what settings I use.

This is not good for battery use.

Using 10.0.0 (27675)

Have logged this as report 48902522.

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Set VM Configuration > Options > Optimization > Power to Longer battery life

3. Chris Connor

Chris Connor Bit poster

Thank you will test it this evening when the laptop doesn't have a second screen connected.

4. SkyFoxXP

SkyFoxXP Junior Member

Hello!
    I've just installed PD10 (upgrade from 9) and I can confirm that it doesn't switch to discrete GPU. Same behaviour as before. I use the "longer battery life" setting.

5. serv

serv Forum Maven

Make sure OS X System preferences > Energy saver > Automatic graphics switching is enabled (checked) and no external displays are attached to your MBP.
    To check which apps triggered discreet graphics, open Terminal and issue command "ioreg -lwwwwww|grep -w list". For each number (PID) in task-list do "ps -p <PID>" and figure what application it is. Close those apps.
    If nothing helps try rebooting OS X.

6. Chris Connor

Chris Connor Bit poster

Works like a dream, sorry I didn't spot that and thanks for the super quick reply.

7. Andrew Rimmer

Andrew Rimmer Bit poster

Does changing to "Power to Longer battery life" have any other side effects apart from preventing the use of the discreet GPU.
    I want my VM to be as powerful as possible (just without using the discreet GPU). I think VMWare Fusion has a distinct setting for this.