Parallels 10 is much slower and buggy than Parallels 9

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by soon-jai_khang, Dec 4, 2014.

1. soon-jai_khang

soon-jai_khang Bit poster

I have been a faithful user of Parallels 8 and 9. After I updated to Parallels 10, my Windows 8.1 refuses to shut down and takes a lot longer to load. Sometimes Windows hangs. File browsing became very slow in Windows especially if I tried to access the external HD attached to Apple. I finally had to go back to Parallels 9 that runs fast without any problem. Am I the only one having this problem? (I am running the most recent Yosemite.)

2. Sergey_Ermolaev

Sergey_Ermolaev Bit poster

No, you are not alone with this problem. I cannot find a solution either. If only get back to 9. But I am not sure if I will be able to. I deleted all my activation and registration keys for it. How did you reinstalled your 9?

3. solus

solus Member

I've been using PD10 for a while now, and it actually feels MUCH slower than PD8 I was using prior. I upgraded a PD8 VM to 10, so I'm not sure if that's the problem. I may try setting up a completely new VM under PD10 to see if that helps. I don't imagine I can run Parallels Desktop 9 with a version 10 key, right?

4. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

5. ionblue

ionblue Member

I'm experiencing the same issue on my MacBook Pro. Version 8 and 9 were substantially faster than 10 on Yosemite. Has anyone tried the above fix? I don't quite understand how enabling a debugging mode is supposed to fix the issue though. Makes now sense to me.

6. Stephen Van Dellen

Stephen Van Dellen Member

So does it work better to set debug=0xd4e as recommended in the Parallels 10 running slow on yosemite" thread 766535 or to 0x10 as recommended in http://kb.parallels.com/122767?
    I've got it set to 0xd4E now. I haven't seen it take minutes to do things lately like it used to but I think it's still intermittently slower then PD9.

7. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi all,
    We have released a new update for Parallels Desktop 10.1.2 (28859)
    This update is likely to address the issue you are experiencing as well as improves overall stability and performance of Parallels Desktop 10.
    Please download the installer using the link below:
    www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd10

8. L2Lensman

L2Lensman Member

I can report that that the 10.1.2.(28859) patch does not address the problem apparent on Mid 2011 IMac's (12,2). I have two MAC systems, one an Mid 2011 and one a newer model. The newer model has never been a problem but the Mid-2011 model has been a problem. After contacting Parallels, with no realistic help provided, I then pursued the Apple side of this equation. I spent a large chunk of the day on the phone on Saturday with Apple Support and wound my way through various levels of support. They concurred that a problem does exist with the version 3.1 driver I had noted was causing the problem. It seems that the older systems contain brand "x" where as the newer contain brand "y". (Specific brands were never identified) My specific model, using my serial numbers and their databases, does in fact contain brand "x". The Mavericks version 2.0 driver does not contain the incompatible code, whatever it is.

At the recommendation of Apple, I have taken the action of wiping my Mid-2011 system and reloaded it with Mavericks. After reloading everything I can now report that Parallels 10.1.2 works flawlessly. No "interrupt storm" is present and multi-tasking works as expected. Logically a "hot fix" would address this (something the Microsoft world is familiar with) however Apple does not have a policy that allows them to release hot fixes. This means the eventual patch has to go through a testing period (which is a very good idea). This is months away and is why I took the step of wiping my box entirely.

NOTE: For those considering wiping your box be very careful. Your time capsule backup will not be useful to you as it will be formatted in a manner you can't access from an earlier version of the OS. You will have to use other means such as external drives and such. I ran into several surprises in my rollback however the worst impact I have is that I can't play "Beyond Earth" as that apparently required Yosemite. I can survive without it.

9. Martin Staael

Martin Staael Bit poster

MacBook Pro (Retina, Early 2013)
    Been a user of PD 6,7,8,9,10. Had extremely slow (unusable) Windows 7 after updating to 10.1.2 (28859).
    For now running 'sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0x10"' did the trick for me, but it shouldn't be like that. I paid
    and upgraded to PD10 to get the promised faster VM.