parallels 11 for windows 7?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by fars, Jan 22, 2016.

1. fars

fars Bit poster

i just bought a new mac pro running el capitan 10.11.1 and would like to know if i can install windows 7 software. VMware fusion 8 does not allow for Easy Install with Windows 7. So hoping parallels can work.

If yes will this be an automated process that i can use a windows 7 iso to install. i do have a product key for windows.

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Fars,
    Yes, you can install Windows 7 with Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac. All you need is the .iso image file, refer to this article.

3. fars

fars Bit poster

Thx! i will try out the trial first. I made the mistake of purchasing vmware 8 thinking ofc it should work no problem and now it is useless as it doesn't easy install windows 7!

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Great Fars! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help. Thanks!

5. newt@vims.edu

newt@vims.edu Bit poster

I am running Desktop for Mac 11. Windows 10 runs fine.
    Windows 7 will not run. When I try to install Parallels tools it consistently fails at 67%. I look in Library/Parallels and I don't see the Tools folder. The virtual machine is not connected to the internet. It says that there is no Ethernet controller device driver installed.
    I recently changed from a 2010 13" MacBook Pro to a 13" Retina Macbook Pro. I also moved the Parallels folder from my Documents folder to User/Shared, so my wife's account on this machine could also run Parallels.
    As previously stated, Windows 10 is running as before all these changes. Windows 7 will not update or connect to the internet in any way.

- Newt -

6. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello,
    Please refer to this article which should help you to fix this issue.

7. Kate4

Kate4 Bit poster

Hello, could you help me to choose your product. I use MacBookPro running ElCapitan (upgrade from SnowLeopard) with partition BootCamp and Windows 7. BootCamp doesn't have any more free space for the system. If I transfer Windows 7 from BootCamp to Parallels will it have enough space for running programs? Is it possible after installing Windows to Parallels remove BootCamp at all and make more space on Mac?

8. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Kate,
    Yes, you can run your Bootcamp partition in Parallels Desktop by following this article. If you you want to delete your Boot camp partition then please make sure to transfer the Bootcamp installation to Parallels Desktop ,where Parallels Desktop would retrieve all your files

9. Kate4

Kate4 Bit poster

Thank you, Sylvester! One more question - On My BootCamp partition there is only 700Mb of free space. If I transfer The BootCamp installation to Parallels Desktop my Windows7 trouble with memory space remains?