Parallels 12 Network Error

ScottP3

Bit poster
Hi,
I'm using Parallels 12.1.1 on MacOS Sierra. I am trying to run Windows 10 within the Virtual Machine. I have had it working in the past, but when I tried to open Windows 10 today, it will start up, but I get a network error message: Windows cannot access \\Mac\Home\Desktop

There is an option to Diagnose, but the Windows 10 desktop is almost completely unresponsive. It won't accept mouse-clicks. The best I can do is tab through options on the taskbar and close Windows 10 from the Start Menu.

I've shut down the Virtual Machine and restarted Windows, but get the same result.

I've seen similar issues raised on the forum and one suggestion has been to reinstall Parallel Tools.

When I select that option from the Actions menu, I got a message in Windows 10 asking me to confirm to take that action. I acknowledge that and then the only thing that seems to happen is a message appears on screen about the DVD Drive (E:) and asking me to select what happens to this disk.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to do that without access to the mouse/trackpad in Windows 10. The message then disappears after a few seconds and I can't do anything else.

I was having this problem with Parallels 11 earlier and decided to upgrade to 12 to see if that fixed the issue, but it has just continued the same.

Another option I've tried is to untick and re-tick the option in Sharing - Share Mac user folders with Windows. Again, no effect.

I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing, but I just can't work it out. Can anyone suggest options for me to try?

Thanks,
Scott
 
Hi,
I'm using Parallels 12.1.1 on MacOS Sierra. I am trying to run Windows 10 within the Virtual Machine. I have had it working in the past, but when I tried to open Windows 10 today, it will start up, but I get a network error message: Windows cannot access \\Mac\Home\Desktop

There is an option to Diagnose, but the Windows 10 desktop is almost completely unresponsive. It won't accept mouse-clicks. The best I can do is tab through options on the taskbar and close Windows 10 from the Start Menu.

I've shut down the Virtual Machine and restarted Windows, but get the same result.

I've seen similar issues raised on the forum and one suggestion has been to reinstall Parallel Tools.

When I select that option from the Actions menu, I got a message in Windows 10 asking me to confirm to take that action. I acknowledge that and then the only thing that seems to happen is a message appears on screen about the DVD Drive (E:) and asking me to select what happens to this disk.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to do that without access to the mouse/trackpad in Windows 10. The message then disappears after a few seconds and I can't do anything else.

I was having this problem with Parallels 11 earlier and decided to upgrade to 12 to see if that fixed the issue, but it has just continued the same.

Another option I've tried is to untick and re-tick the option in Sharing - Share Mac user folders with Windows. Again, no effect.

I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing, but I just can't work it out. Can anyone suggest options for me to try?

Thanks,
Scott
In order to resolve \\Mac\Home\Desktop error, Please follow the steps outlined in the KB articles 1 & 2
 
Hi,

Thank you for your response. A question about one of the steps suggested. Step 2 of the first KB article says to uninstall Parallel Tools. When I go into Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program, Parallel Tools isn't listed at all. This is a little odd given that I specifically installed it when upgrading to Parallels 12 yesterday ... but anyway, is that a step I can just skip and then move on to Step 3?

Thank you again for your help.

Scott
 
Hi,

Thank you for your response. A question about one of the steps suggested. Step 2 of the first KB article says to uninstall Parallel Tools. When I go into Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program, Parallel Tools isn't listed at all. This is a little odd given that I specifically installed it when upgrading to Parallels 12 yesterday ... but anyway, is that a step I can just skip and then move on to Step 3?

Thank you again for your help.

Scott
Yes, please perform the other steps, if Parallels Tools is not listed in Uninstall a Program.
 
Hi again,

I'm just not getting these options to work.

The first KB article - I managed to delete PRL_FS.SYS, but couldn't then install Parallel Tools again - as I didn't have an option uninstall it in the first place. The only option from the menu was to reinstall which doesn't actually do anything other than bring up a message about the DVD drive (which I don't have).

Second KB article gives 3 options:

1 - download sp_Correct.reg, but I can't get that into a location on the Virtual Machine that allows me to run it. I can't download it from within the Virtual Machine as my mouse doesn't work there and every folder that might be shared is inaccessible from within Windows.

2 - disable isolate Windows from Mac option. Did that, but next step is to uninstall Parallel Tools - again, can't do that as it's not appearing as an installed program.

3 - Delete SharedProfile.dll - this file doesn't exist for me. The Parallel Tools folder is empty except a .tmp file.

It's like the Parallel Tools has been removed, but not completely so I can't install it nor uninstall it.

Seems like I need a bit of a sledgehammer approach - if I completely remove Parallels and start from scratch to reinstall Windows, is that likely to work?

I'm just not getting why these options aren't available. I'm not sure what I did in the first place to break it, so can't offer any suggestions as to why this particular installation is behaving differently.

Thanks,
Scott
 
Hi again,
If I go down the path of reinstalling, do I need to just remove and reinstall Windows 10 or do I need to start from scratch - remove the virtual machine, uninstall and reinstall Parallels?

Thanks,
Scott
 
Hi ScottP3, please quit Parallels Desktop.
1. Launch Terminal.app on the Mac.
2. Execute the commands in Terminal window separately (one by one):
Note: you will be asked to enter your Mac password and hit Enter to continue, it will not be seen in Terminal window due to security measures.
sudo rm -rf /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml

sudo killall -9 prl_naptd
3. Start Parallels Desktop and let us know how it works.
 
Hi ScottP3, please quit Parallels Desktop.
1. Launch Terminal.app on the Mac.
2. Execute the commands in Terminal window separately (one by one):
Note: you will be asked to enter your Mac password and hit Enter to continue, it will not be seen in Terminal window due to security measures.
sudo rm -rf /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml

sudo killall -9 prl_naptd
3. Start Parallels Desktop and let us know how it works.

Hi Paul,
That hasn't seemed to have done anything different unfortunately. The first command prompted me for my password, as you mentioned and seemed to work.

The second command returned 'No matching processes were found'.

I then restarted Parallels Desktop and started Windows 10 but the same error appeared about not being able to access the Mac desktop.

Is there anything else I can try? Any other information I can provide that might help?

Thanks,
Scott
 
Hello Guys, please follow the steps outlined in the KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/112609 and keep us updated on your progress!
Hi Swati,

You're a genius! Everything is now functional again. Thank you so much for this.

I seemed to have to do the process twice (scenario 2). First time resulted in no change. I rebooted Windows, shut down Parallels, but it was still the same.

I tried it again and it seemed to go the same, but the mouse was now responsive in the Windows screen and after another reboot, all is back to normal.

Thanks again,
Scott
 
Back
Top