Parallels 12 - Windows 10 - Start Button Not working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DennisD1, Nov 21, 2016.

1. DennisD1

DennisD1 Member

Okay, here we go again. Another Parallels update, another Windows problem!!

Upgraded to parallels 12. Can launch windows 10 fine, but clicking the start or launch button does nothing. Can't access power options or list of the programs.

Cannot type in Quick Find to its right.

Only way to close Windows 10 is to reboot the entire Mac.

Any solutions?

2. DennisD1

DennisD1 Member

Hello??

Is anyone from Parallels going to solve my problem???

3. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Please try creating new user account in Windows virtual machine and see how it works.

4. DennisD1

DennisD1 Member

Same problem.

Why is it whenever I updated Parallels, the program no longer works?

5. DennisD1

DennisD1 Member

I can't right click. It does nothing.

6. DennisD1

DennisD1 Member

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM??????

IT'S BEEN OVER A WEEK!!!!

7. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @DennisD1
    This can just happen when Windows Updates are being installed, but it's more often caused by a bug of some sort.
    Have you created a new user account and copied the contents of the folder into the equivalent folder of your main user account (which has issues) as outlined here ?
    If so, please create a Problem Report ID and submit here.

8. SumitS1

SumitS1 Bit poster

There are many factor doing issue on taskbar, You can fix via below points like
    • Restart the Device Running
    • Repairing the Windows Files
    • Reinstall Modern Apps
    You can try this helpful post, Sure this is working for me and also work for you.

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello @DennisD1 , please follow the steps as suggested below and keep us posted:
    1. Press CMD+ R (to open Run )
    2. Copy and paste "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe" then press enter, it brings back the language bar 3. After executing the run command, proceed to these steps-
    3. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32
    4. Locate ctfmon (Application)
    5. Right-click > Send to > Desktop (Create shortcut)
    6. Open run > type ' shell:startup ' (without quotes)
    7. Drag & drop the ctfmon shortcut placed in the Desktop to the Startup folder.

10. DarelS

DarelS Bit poster

I've been experimenting with the "start" menu of Windows 10 not showing up when clicking on the virtual machine icon in the task bar with Parallels 13. I seem to have found a consistent recovery mode when the start menu just won't appear. Here's what has worked every time since I've been doing it (when the Start menu becomes unresponsive):
    1. Right click on the Windows 10 VM in the task bar.
    2. Select View->Windows Start Menu.
      1. What this will do is make the Windows Start Menu appear on one of my monitors, but the "Search" box of the Windows doesn't appear. As we all know, Windows Start menus are almost useless to those of us who do extensive administrative tasks on our domain every day, so this isn't very useful, so go on to step three.
    3. Navigate away from the Start menu that has appeared. It will disappear at this time.
    4. Left click on the Windows 10 VM. It has appeared every time for me with the much coveted "Search" box
    Perhaps this will help my fellow Parallels users and give Parallels developers a clue as to where this pesky little bug is hiding. This method has worked for me for over three weeks now, and hasn't failed once. Hopefully, you'll have the same results.

Respectfully...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  11. kamrana1

kamrana1 Bit poster

I your windows 10 search not working, making it difficult to utilize the exceptionally helpful Search include, you're not the only one. Numerous Windows 10 clients are revealing this issue too. Be that as it may, no stresses, we're here to help. The correct reason for this issue shifts on various mixes of PC conditions, yet there are in fact arrangements that will enable you to settle your not working Start menu issue before Microsoft rolls out a permanent solution.

12. tapyd

tapyd Bit poster

Relog into your account
    On your keyboard, press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys at the same time. Click Sign out.
    Type in your password and log in again.
    Check if your Start menu works all right now.

Create a new user account
    Right-click the task bar on your desktop at the bottom and click Task Manager.
    On the top of the Task Manager window, select File option and then choose Run new task.
    Then type powershell and tick the box for Create this task with administrative privileges. Click OK.
    In PowerShell window, copy and paste in the following command and press the Enter key on your keyboard:
    net user newusername newpassword /add

Restart your computer and log into the new user account.
    Your Start menu should work now. You can change the new local account to a Microsoft account and transfer your files and settings.

Source: http://www.pcerror-fix.com/methods-to-fix-windows-8-1-10-start-button-not-working

13. saurabhj12

saurabhj12 Bit poster

Last week I faced the same issue after updating my parallels on windows 10. I was unable to use start menu. I did some searches and found that creating a new user account can fix this issue. A disk scan also fixes this issue, repairing corrupted files or by reinstalling all the apps again. Restarting windwos explorer also fixes this issue. My issue of start menu not working was fixed after creating a new user account. I found all this information to fix windows 10 start menu here. You can also check this post for full method

14. Hello saurabhj12. Nice to know that you were able to sort out the issue and thanks for sharing the possible steps that could fix the issue.

15. AndreqM

AndreqM Bit poster