Parallels 13 - Windows 10 Updates Fail

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidB35, Aug 1, 2018.

1. DavidB35

DavidB35 Bit poster

I have several updates to Windows 10 that I need to install. I let my virtual machine download the files, then it asks to restart to do the installs. After a long period of time following the install, I get the following message from Parallels:

"macOS has prevented the guest opertaing system from changing the boot loader on your physical hard disk."

Windows 10 then reverts to the previous installation and tells me it has updates to install.

How do I get around this issue so Windows can complete its updates to my virtual machine?

I am running the latest versions of Parallels 13 and macOS High Sierra.

I am trying to install the Windows 10, version 1803 update.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DavidB35, are you updating version 1803 update or is it a fresh installation? Please check whether the permission of the Mac Partition is set to read and write.

3. DavidB35

DavidB35 Bit poster

This is an update from the 1709 (I think is the number) to the latest Windows version. It is not a new install.

4. Have you created the virtual machine directly using Parallels Desktop for Mac or configured the BootCamp Windows with Parallels Desktop?

5. DavidB35

DavidB35 Bit poster

I created it using Parallels Desktop for Mac. There is no Bootcamp installation.

6. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @DavidB35 , do you have any Anti virus on mac? If yes, please disable it and try.