Parallels 14 + Mojave: Slow VM starts (sometimes)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mcgroarty, Sep 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

I'm encountering a problem where Parallels sometimes takes up to 5 minutes to launch a VM.
    • Upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave
    • Already had Parallels 14.0.1 installed
    • Parallels configured to launch at login
    • One VM configured to start when Parallels application is launched
    Sometimes the VM sometimes launches right away. Other times it takes anywhere from 1-5 minutes to launch. During the delay, the window is stuck in the portion where it shows the machine name and has the 12-segment "asterisk" with gray colors rotating through. There is not high CPU or disk load during this time, and everything is loading off of SSD. If I try quitting Parallels and rebooting my machine, the reboot hangs for a similar period of time with macOS presumably waiting for the VM to start and then shut down.

Of note, I experienced similar behavior with High Sierra, but the delay was never more than 30 seconds before the VM would start, so I had just lived with this. It seems the old problem became much larger.

2. Martin9

Martin9 Member

similar problem here on my iMac. But on my MacBook, where I first upgraded to Mojave and only then updated to Parallels 14 I don't have such problems. Wanted to deinstall Parallels on my iMac completely for a new clean installation but this does not work. It doesn't even ask for the serial number but get's all data from the previous installation somehow. I know there are ways to get even such data deleted but at this time I don't wanna make such extra efforts. Instead I hope that Parallels can solve these problems with an update soon.

3. Martin9

Martin9 Member

after today's Windows update 1809, which also forced Parallels to reinstall Parallels Tools again, my W10 VM starts fast again as it should. So probably this somehow was a W10 issue after one of the last updates...or somekind of combination....anyway, now working fine again....

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Martin9, the issue is under investigation and should be fixed in 14.1, but in general, it's caused by a slow AD or great amount of users there. Can you please perform this workaround? Open System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Options > Edit and remove all the servers from the list.

5. Martin9

Martin9 Member

Thank you @PaulChris@Parallels but as mentioned my system runs fine again since last Windows main update anyway.

6. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello Martin9, Perfect, Please feel free to reach us any time for any queries regarding Parallels.