Parallels 14 only partially starts

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JamesMc, Sep 25, 2018.

1. JamesMc

JamesMc Bit poster

I just recently upgraded to Parallels 14 from version 12. I normally use it in Windowed mode, launching VMs from the "Control Center".
    When I start the Parallels application (by double-clicking the application icon), it only gets as far as having the "Parallels" menu and the "Help" menu. I have waited up to 10 minutes, and none of the other menus (File, Edit, View, Window) nor the Control Center ever appear.
    If I start by double-clicking a VM's *.pvm file, then Parallels still gets stuck in that same state for about 3 minutes. Then the VM finally appears.
    During the time that Parallels is stuck, there is nothing in Activity Monitor to suggest that any sort of system overload is slowing anything down.
    What could possibly be wrong? What should I do to fix this?

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

@JamesMc, please generate problem report at the moment of application start hang. For this when "Help" menu item appears click on it and then press "Send Technical Data". Follow the steps and when problem report is sent post its id here.

3. JamesMc

JamesMc Bit poster

Technical Data was sent. Report ID is 277810213

4. rkulikov

> Technical Data was sent. Report ID is 277810213

@JamesMc, thank you! Is your Mac connected to any Directory Service (like Active Directory or LDAP)? There's an issue in Parallels Desktop: it hangs for a specific time at the moment of start if the system is connected to _slow_ directory service.

5. rkulikov

6. JamesMc

JamesMc Bit poster

Thanks, I'm sure that this is the issue I am facing. Although to be accurate, it is not about "slow" directory service, it is about Parallels unnecessarily listing an entire "large" directory service.
    Very disturbing to learn that this problem has been around for so long, has been unaddressed by Parallels for that time, relates to behavior the software has no reason to do, and may likely violate security policies. Maybe I'll go have another look at VirtualBox...

7. rkulikov

Please, update to version 14.1.0. I hope issue is fixed there.

8. JamesMc

JamesMc Bit poster

Indeed, I no longer experience this issue. Thank you.

9. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @JamesMc , you are welcome please post if you have any further queries.