Parallels 16 preventing displays from turning off

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by N9JIG, Sep 1, 2020.

1. N9JIG

N9JIG Bit poster

I had this same issue with PD 15 and now it seems to have reared its head with PD16 as well.
    With my MacMini 2018 if Parallels is running the displays will not shut off after a specified period of inactivity, in my case it is set for 15 minutes in the Energy Saver control panel in MacOS 10.15.6. I had this issue with PD16 and earlier versions of MacOS and eventually reinstalling Parallels Tools fixed it. No such luck now.

I do not use System Sleep, I merely have the displays turn off and then require a password to get back. This had always worked fine until PD15.

2. Hello, could you clarify please: when Parallels Desktop is running you're unable to to shut off displays?

3. N9JIG

N9JIG Bit poster

No, when Parallels is running the displays will not shut off by themselves. It seems to come and go, it has been working today but the last 2 days it had not. We will see if they go off tonight as they should. It ALWAYS works properly when Parallels is not running.

I can manually go into the Apple Menu and select Sleep, but that messes up some monitoring applications I need so Display shut off is preferable.

Attached is a screenshot of the Energy Saver Control Panel where the display shut off setting is adjusted. It is different than Computer Sleep, it just cuts off the display instead of going to a screen saver.

Attached Files:

• SS1.png
      SS1.png
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views: