Parallels 17 on M1 "Save As" for MS Office defaults to Save in AppData folder

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by TedM2, Dec 10, 2021.

1. TedM2

TedM2 Bit poster

Has anyone had this issue? Parallels 17 on M1 "Save As" for MS Office defaults to Save in AppData folder. When I do a Save As in Excel or Word, the default location shows correctly, but when I click on the path, it is actually trying to save in AppData, and it fails. If I go and browse the location I want to save in, it works fine.

Attached Files:

2. RobinD5

RobinD5 Bit poster

Same problem here! Did you already found a solution?

3. TedM2

TedM2 Bit poster

Yes, they found a fix, something deep in the system, but easy. Support should be able to help you. They can look up my ticket.

4. D.P

D.P Bit poster

Can you give us your ticket number? Support can't look it up via your screenname. Thank you!

5. TedM2

TedM2 Bit poster

[Parallels #3225731] Save As failing in Windows 11

Our development team is working on fixing this issue in future updates.

For now, as a workaround, follow these steps:

1) Create a snapshot to back up the current state: https://kb.parallels.com/en/5691

2) In Windows, locate c:\windows\system32\prl_np.dll and rename it to prl_np1.dll. Copy prl_np.dll from this archive: https://fe.parallels.com/c0283acd496dda9cdd91341ca99175c4/prl_np.zip to the same c:\windows\system32\ location.

3) Reboot Windows and check again.

If the issue still persists, please, collect an additional technical report(click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this e-mail.

Best regards,

Attached Files:

6. D.P

D.P Bit poster

Thank you so much. This worked perfectly.

7. AlbertoG5

AlbertoG5 Bit poster

It works now

Thank you to the Team!

8. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I have been reading this thread. Question I have is do you have the Office apps installed in the Windows VM or are you using the online version of Microsoft 365? Because I generally work with Word and Excel (only two Office apps that I generally use) on the Mac side and when I try to open a document on the Windows VM side it insists that I upload the document to my One Drive account. Otherwise it will open the document with the MacOS version of Word/Excel.

9. D.P

D.P Bit poster

When I upgraded to the latest release, the bug returned. Can I replace the file with the same version as above to fix or do I need an updated file?

10. TedM2

TedM2 Bit poster

Yes, you can do it again (I have done it at least 6 times so far).