Parallels 18 caps lock key shows sign on screen when pressed

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Philip8, Sep 30, 2023.

1. Philip8

Philip8 Bit poster

I have an M1 Macbook pro and Parallels 18.3.2 installed. Im not sure since when the problem has occured, cause i havent used Parallels the last weeks. The problem is, that when i press the caps lock key, it shows a blue symbol on the screen (see screenshot). This is an issue when i play a game where the caps lock must be pressed constantly and that sign is visible on the screen. Im pretty sure, it must be a Parallels problem, cause when i shutdown the Win 11 VM, the sign is still there and it doesnt happen when i just use OSX.
    It would be appreciated if anyone could help me solve this problem. Thanks a lot in advance.

Attached Files:

2. kunze50

kunze50 Bit poster

Same here. The addition of the Cap Lock key symbol in Mac OS Sonoma appears in the center of the Parallels window. I use Revit and pretty much keep this key on constantly, so it is getting very annoying to work around a symbol that does not go away..

3. Philip8

Philip8 Bit poster

Hello, i dont see it as a problem of Sonoma. First it appeard before i updated. And for me its just visible in Parallels. Its also not a Win 11 Problem, casue when i shutdown Winfows, while shutting it down, it still appears. Clearly it is a Parallels problem.

ErinL2 likes this.
  4. MichaelA17

MichaelA17 Bit poster

I too am seeing this happen. When I updated my Mac Mini (2018 Intel) to Sonoma, the Icon appeared both in the MacOS and Parallels (running Windows 10 Prof.). At that time, I Googled it for an explanation, and found a post in an Apple Discussion forum where someone claimed it was a system update that couldn't be disabled (not even from the command line).

Just yesterday I noticed it's only happening now in Parallels and not the MacOS. I looked at my current build of Sonoma (14.0 (23A344)), which would lead me to believe that maybe it was a bug that fixed itself on the Mac side, but is carrying over to Parallels. I don't think Apple pushes fixes without updating the version number, do they?

Regardless of who's responsible for this new "feature", it's frustrating. I use Parallels to run AutoCAD and Revit and also have caps lock on most of the time.

Thoughts?

5. ErinL2

ErinL2

I have the same issue, I use CAPS LOCK regularly on the Paralells side in my DMS, and the icon keeps popping up with every screen refresh. There must be a way to turn this caps lock "notification" off, right?

6. EduardoG4

EduardoG4

same annoying caps lock notification on-screen. Any solution for this??

7. FedericoS2

FedericoS2

same annoying caps lock notification on-screen. Any solution for this?

8. IraC

IraC Bit poster

Any solution to this?

9. MichaelC85

MichaelC85 Bit poster

I can't explain how/why, but it's an Apple "feature" that is somehow coming through only on Windows via Parallels for me. I don't have this issue on Mac OS itself. However, doing the following in Mac Terminal and then rebooting made it stop in Windows/Parallels:

sudo mkdir -p /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain
    sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add 'redesigned_text_cursor:Enabled' bool false" /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist

10. ScottH5

ScottH5 Bit poster

11. ScottH5

ScottH5 Bit poster

Great solution! Thanks!!

MichaelC85 likes this.