Parallels 18 caused screen flickering

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JohnD73, Sep 9, 2022.

1. JohnD73

JohnD73 Bit poster

I had been using Parallels 17 to play "Battle Academy" (a Steam game) and it worked perfectly fine. Then I "upgraded" to Parallels 18 and, when playing the game, the screen flickered so badly I had to stop. I tried everything (RAM allocation, screen resolution,...) and nothing alleviated the problem. I uninstalled 18, re-installed 17, and it works perfectly again. Whatever 18 did it ruined my ability to play that game. (the rest of the Windows experience is fine).

2. RachelL1

RachelL1 Member

Hi, just like to ask if you could solve the problem somehow?
    I have a similar issue my curser is flickering but on all Windows applications I updated to the newest version now, but could not solve the problem, this is impossible to work like that.
    configuration for the graphic is scaled and not optimised for gaming as I mainly use this for drawing CAD 2D and Rhino 3D, if someone can help here this would be highly appreciated as I'm blocked and under pressure.
    thanks in advance
    Kind Regards
    Rachel

3. JohnD73

JohnD73 Bit poster

Hi Rachel,
    No, I never solved the problem and no one addressed it. It's really frustrating. It would be nice if Parallels at least responded to this.
    Cheers,
    John

4. RachelL1

RachelL1 Member

Just to inform in case someone has the same problem.
    I found the error but not the "why" (not solved yet) Autodesk App is starting twice and caused this problem. When stopping one application of the Autodesk Desktop App via the task manager it is running smooth again.
    Maybe this can be helpful

5. TomF13

TomF13 Bit poster

I had the same with screen flickering after upgrading to Parallels 18 and I solved it by running "reinstall Parallels tools" on the VM.

JohnD73 likes this.
  6. JohnD73

JohnD73 Bit poster

I was running Parallels 17 today and tried to play "Battle Academy 2" and the screen started flickering like crazy. I changed the configuration of the parallels machine to "Game Playing" configuration and that took care of the problem! It's weird - I had tried manually setting the CPU count to 8 and maxing the memory and disk, which didn't work. Love to know what "Game Playing" did differently. In any case, no more screen flickering! yay!

7. Unknowna

Unknowna Bit poster

Today parallels support help me to solve this problem on PВ 18. Instruction:
    "To try to resolve the issue, please perform the following steps:
    1. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).
    2. Open the Virtual Machine's Configuration (https://kb.parallels.com/117287) > Hardware > Boot Order > Advanced Settings > Boot flags.
    3. Paste the following text in the "Boot flags" field:
    video.wddm=3
    4. Run the virtual machine and see if the issue reoccurs."

8. dand13

dand13 Bit poster

In case anyone else is having issues, I went through everything said here and elsewhere and none of that work. What did work is switching the mac's display refresh rate to a fixed value. "Variable" had my full-screen parallels flickering when the mouse moved but ANY fixed value doesn't do this.

9. ThomasB7

ThomasB7 Bit poster

Thanks, #7 worked.

10. SamuelL12

SamuelL12 Bit poster

Hello,
    I'm having a similar issue trying to run Dark Souls 2, though in my efforts to fix the problem I have been unable to access the boot flags menu, everytime I open it it appears as though I'm able to type in it, but then it just grays itself out. Regardless of whether or not I have the VM paused or not.
    Curious if any of you might be able to assist me in my quest.