Parallels 3 to Parallels 5 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by judger48193, Oct 9, 2010.

1. judger48193

judger48193 Member

I am running Parallels 3.0 for Mac Build 5608 on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and want to upgrade to a new Parallels 5. I have a VM running Win XP Pro (and another VM running Win 2000 Pro that I don't use but created when I recently upgraded to XP). My Windows environment is essential to my daily work and I need to be able to upgrade to 5 OR be able to get back to the old Parallels 3 in case I have problems in 5.

The next step after going to 5 is to upgrade my Mac to Mac OS X 10.6.

The Knowledgebase states the following:

"Parallels Desktop 5 and Parallels Desktop 4 use a format of virtual machines that differs from the Parallels Desktop 3.0 format. When you start a virtual machine created in Parallels Desktop 3, you will be asked to convert it to the new format. When prompted to convert the virtual machine to the new format, choose one of the following:

• Click Backup & Convert to backed up the virtual machine and then convert it to the new format. If you need to start this virtual machine in Parallels Desktop 3, you will be able to restore it from the backup."

If I click on the backup will the old Parallels 3 environment come up also and allow me to continue Windows work in the old 3 environment while I sort through any issues with 5? Or do I have to re-install Parallels 3 to be able to continue my work as I resolve any issues?

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

You need to reinstall Parallels 3. Or you could leave Parallels 3 in Mac OS X 10.5.8, shrink your 10.5 partition, install Mac OS X 10.6 to a new partition and use Parallels 5 or 6 in Mac OS X 10.6.

3. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Thank you for the quick reply, joevt.

I assume that Parallels will allow me to reinstall an earlier version, 3.0, over the top of 5.0. Or do I need to uninstall 5.0 before reinstalling 3.0? I assume that my old 3.0 virtual machine will NOT be affected by whatever I do, correct?

I reiterate that the Windows XP environment is essential to my daily work and I need to understand my options before I proceed with an upgrade.

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

I think you should uninstall 5 first since Parallels 3 probably won't know how to uninstall it properly.

You should backup your 3.0 virtual machines just in case. Parallels 5 may update them in place so that they can't be used again in 3.0. The Backup & Convert option will do that for you.