Parallels 8 - trying to upgrade XP to Win 7 - big problems.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by ClintonD, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ClintonD

ClintonD Junior Member

OK, so i'm finally trying to update XP Pro to Win 7 Pro using Parallels 8 and am having big trouble. It seems as if I can't use the 64-bit disc because I don't a 64-bit version of Windows XP Pro... I get a message that

x:\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Then when I try to use the 32-bit upgrade disc, I get the following message:

The file 'auto run.dll' could not be loaded or is corrupt. Error code is [0x7E]

What am I doing wrong - I've gone through tons of MS files and websites and even used the Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser which, for the most part shows me that I'm ready to go.

Any help - I'm at my wits end and need Windows 7 running soon!

Thanks,

Clinton

Attached Files:

2. newtownanimal

newtownanimal Bit poster

3. treejanitor

treejanitor Bit poster

4. huy89_Fpt

huy89_Fpt Bit poster

thank , i have meet the same prolem as you. But i still do'nt fix it, i must to reintall

5. Võ VănH

Võ VănH Bit poster

Hello ClintonD,
    Getting the error: Not a valid 32-bit application can have many causes:
    I have listed some of them below.
    File is corrupt, bad, or missing.
    - If the hard disk drive is corrupted or bad it can cause working programs to fail either because not all the data can be read from the hard disk drive or because the program has become corrupted while on the drive. Run scandisk and defrag on the hard disk drive to check for any potential errors.
    - If you're running the program from a shortcut on the computer, verify that the program is still on the computer. In some cases if the program is no longer installed on the computer you may get this error.
    File is not designed for your version of Windows:
    - If you're trying to run a program that is not designed for your version of Windows you may get this error.
    - Although many older programs designed to work in older versions of Windows will work with new versions of Windows, unfortunately, not all programs will work.
    - If the program is an older MS-DOS program or early Windows program you may get this error.
    - If the program is designed for a 64-bit version of Windows and you're running it in a 32-bit version of Windows, it will not work and generate this error.
    File is a virus, worm, or other malware file.
    - This error can be generated by a file that is a virus, worm, trojan, or other type of malware file. Often, this will be caused because the virus scanner installed in the computer will not allow the file to be installed or run. Try scanning the file to verify it is not a virus and/or infected.
    - If the file has been checked and is clean, it is still possible that the virus protection program and/or another program installed on the computer is causing issues during the install or execution of the program. Boot the computer into Safe Mode and try running the program; booting the computer into Safe Mode will make sure nothing is running in the background that could be causing this issue.

Hardware incompatibility.
    - If you're getting this error during the installation of a program it's also possible that the CD-ROM drive or the drive you're installing the program from is not compatible with Windows or has drivers that are not compatible with Windows.
    - Download the latest drivers for your CD drive or other drive from the computer manufacturer or from the hardware manufacturer. (Microsoft does not make driver for other hardware)
    You will have to look over the issues to see if any of them apply in your case.
    Hope this helps.