Parallels 8 with Windows 7 (Full Screen) issue

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mmjr2000, Mar 5, 2014.

1. mmjr2000

mmjr2000 Junior Member

Hi,

If it isn't one problem it is another and it seems parallels has its set of issues.

My issue is this:

I'm running Parallels Desktop 8 with Windows 7 running in Full Screen. When I go let's say watch a "YouTube" video in Full Screen and if that video is longer than 10 minutes which is when my display on my iMac is set to turn off if I don't move the mouse or what not then the display turns off.

However if I take Windows 7 out of Full Screen and go into Coherence Mode and then watch that same video in Full Screen I don't have to do anything and my screen will stay active and on until I exit the video from full screen.

How do I make it so I can run Windows 7 in full screen and watch videos in full screen without having to be annoyed by moving the cursor every few minutes? and of course without changing setting to my Energy Saver settings?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  2. Manojkumar@Parallels

Manojkumar@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi mmjr2000,

Please follow the steps to run the applications in full screen mode;

Go to Configure of VM ( http://kb.parallels.com/117287 ) > Options > Full Screen > check Use Mac OS X Full Screen and Use all displays in full screen

Thanks,
    Manoj.

3. mmjr2000

mmjr2000 Junior Member

I have done this. However when playing videos in Full Screen it still wants to put the display to turn off after the 10 minutes if I don't move the mouse or keyboard.
    As I have said I'm already running Windows 7 in Full Screen mode, the only thing I am doing is watching videos from YouTube or Hulu in Full Screen but it requires me to move the mouse or the display will turn off as my display is set to turn off after 10 minutes.

However if I switch run Windows 7 in Coherence Mode and then watch a video from YouTube or Hulu I don't have to move the mouse to keep the display on.

I don't understand why it doesn't work in Full Screen but does in Coherence.

I been having problems with Coherence Mode that's when I decided to switch to Full Screen Mode.

Is there any other steps I could try or does anyone have this issue or can anyone duplicate this issue?

- You know I pay for Parallels 8 and Parallels 9 is worse than 8 but Parallels does lack support, the support is complicated so here I am on the forums and yet it's like you're just a customer and who cares about you we just want your money and that's it.

I have not tried to see if this works properly on Parallels 9. However I just find Parallels 8 to be the most stable Parallels as 9 is too buggy and yet again support is just terrible but Parallels wants money...

I do hope someone can help me or someone can duplicate this issue.

4. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi mmjr2000,

You would have to change your settings from Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\ to 'Never turn off display'. Only when this is disabled you would not have to move the cursor while watching Videos.

Also, I would suggest you to re-install Parallels Tools in your Virtual Machine by following this article: http://kb.parallels.com/117710

Thanks,
    Looran