Parallels 9 loud audio pops

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by strells, Oct 1, 2013.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

I've seen the KB articles about fixing this (reinstall Parallels tools), but it's never happened to me before. If I boot my Win 7 VM (or bring it out of suspension) I get super loud and scary audio pops on my 2010 MBP, even if the whole computer is muted! I'm disabling sound in the VM until I get a chance to reinstall the tools, but has anybody else experienced this who hasn't experienced it before in prior versions?

I'm worried it's going to blow out my speakers!

Steve

2. mculver

mculver Member

Yes, I may be getting something like this. Just prior to other normal audio, like less than a half second before a Windows event sound (email notification in outlook, for example), the tone when increasing or decreasing volume from the speaker icon in the Windows 7 system tray, or when loading a YouTube page (not yet playing the flash), there is a very loud, distorted pop. It is intermittent, does not occur every time one of these events occurs.

I filed a trouble report with Parallels support, and wouldn't you know it, I couldn't get it to recur. It will happen once, then not happen for awhile, then happen again several times in a row.

I also went through the KB article on troubleshooting sound and reinstalled parallels tools. Nothing helped. I haven't heard the pop when sound was muted, though.

3. SkyFoxXP

SkyFoxXP Junior Member

Hello,

I also noticed these very loud pops this last week. At least one or two each day.
    It doesn't seem related to the volume loudness. Even at minimum volume the "pop" is very loud.

Could you please work on this issue because it is quite disturbing / annoying / even scaring !

If I remember correctly, the problem appeared for the first time when I applied the OS X 10.8.5 update and did not occur with 10.8.4.

Thank you very much.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. WadeG

WadeG Junior Member

Same problem here. Reinstalling the tools has not helped. Would be great if someone from Paralles would address this.

5. Duncan Whitcombe

Duncan Whitcombe Bit poster

HI,

I had actually upgraded from 9Beta so I assumed it was related to this. I deleted the parallels install (Hazel very kindly removed the plists and prefs for me) and then installed 9.0.23062.920702

When I went into my VM again it still popped so I got out of Coherence and reinstalled the Parallels tools.

when I rebooted I restarted Coherence and then restarted installing the microsoft updates. since logging back in it hasn't popped in the last 5 minutes :)

usually it starts straight away.

Thanks for the work around.

my environment is an I7 MBPro (15" 8GB SSD) with windows 8x64.

6. Billymac231

Billymac231 Member

7. mculver

mculver Member

Also, with regard to Mute, to correct something I wrote above, if I choose mute from Devices, Sound, Mute, it has no effect. All sounds with the same popping continue to play. In order to really mute sound, I must choose a null device as output device.

Yes, I agree with the first post in @Billymac231's other thread.

8. strells

strells Product Expert

My pop was not like in that thread. My pop was so bad I thought the battery in my MBP was swelling and making the aluminum bend! At first, I didn't think that kind of noise could come from the speakers. That's why I was worried that it would destroy my speakers. Setting the VM to mute in the hardware configuration did the trick, but I hope that when I get around to reinstalling Parallels tools, it will fix this.

Steve

9. mculver

mculver Member

Well, I can't get Parallels to address this issue, a new issue since version 9 for me (maybe an older issue for others). I had a ticket open with support and since I can't get it to reproduce at the exact moment they are on the phone with me, they won't help me with it. I've gone through all the troubleshooting, but this is just a waste of time. Nothing has changed since Parallels 7 when it was working fine.

And since Parallels people on this forum don't seem to be willing to address what seems like a long standing issue from a search of this forum, either they don't have a fix or they aren't interested.

So, this is a showstopper. It is clearly the virtual hardware. Lots of people have this issue.

Where do we go from here? Parallels ignoring it doesn't mean it goes away. I need sound in Windows without the pop.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. mculver

mculver Member

Revision 932290 of 10/16 hasn't done anything with this. There is still loud popping immediately preceding a lot of audio, but not always. Very frustrating. Back to null output until this gets sorted out either by a fix in the product or by my going to a different product. Please note, this was never a problem in P7.

11. SkyFoxXP

SkyFoxXP Junior Member

Clearly this problem is new to the OS X 10.8.5 update.
    In can confirm that it is also present on 10.9 Mavericks golden master.

12. R.S.L.

R.S.L. Bit poster

Same problem. Neither reinstalling Parallels Tools nor a complete reinstall of Parallels fixes the problem.

13. railfan

railfan Bit poster

seems os version-related

it sounds like heavy static electricity blowing a chip is what it sounds like, very disconcerting. really not acceptable. this started for me onlyafter going from os x 10.75 to Mavericks (10.9). Otherwise, going from the trial to the full version of 9, not an issue in my own experience (note: i was skipping 10.8 in my upgrade).

how, and how fast this is acknowledged and addressed by this company will determine whether it gets returned in favor of vmware, sorry... not even an "i hear ya' users, and we're working on it" is troubling.

14. Simba Cub

Simba Cub Member

I can confirm that this problem exists on Mavericks when I am using Ubuntu and Unity Dark, a Ubuntu spinoff. The sounds are very, very loud cracks, so bad I fear for the longevity of my speakers. It seems to be ok on initial boot but after sleeping/waking or restoring the pops raise their ugly head.

Rich::

15. Opus104

Opus104 Bit poster

I have had this issue since PD8. No change. I just have to mute. It is only for that fraction of a second before alert sounds. I can play video with no issue.

MacBook Pro 5,5 13 inch, mid-2009

16. Opus104

Opus104 Bit poster

Long term issue

I have had this issue since PD8. No change. I just have to mute. It is only for that fraction of a second before alert sounds. I can play video with no issue.

MacBook Pro 5,5 13 inch, mid-2009

17. TomPax

TomPax Bit poster

I get these pops. Also the sound on the Mac doesn't work correctly. Face time does play sound after upgrading to Parallels Nine.

18. Duncan Whitcombe

Duncan Whitcombe Bit poster

Solution - from a support ticket response I got..

Hi,

here is the recommendation from the support people I got. I couldn't fid where to set the Boot flag but the registry settingsfixed it for me.

I suggest you log a support call about it so they can log the cope of the problem (otherwise they won't prioritise it accurately) but here are the fixes I got:

We suggest you to try the following steps in order to fix the issue:
    Please ensure that snapshot is created before the below steps are followed:
    Please try one option at a time and check if it resolves the issues:
    Use Boot flag "devices.audio.clock=1" (to check guest time logic)
    In guest's windows registry:
    Switch driver mode to WaveCyclic:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\<some numberhere>\OverrideCaps\WAVERT_MODE = 0
    Switch driver mode to low-precision position:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\<some number here>\OverrideCaps\IGNORE_PICB = 0x02
    Hope this will fix your issue, If the problem persists please contact us back with the Problem Report So that we can help you further.
    Refer the following KB in Problem Report creation procedure : http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058

19. TomPax

TomPax Bit poster

Hi Duncan,
    That was nice of you to reply. Maybe i'm in the wrong area. I am not logged onto windows as a guest but as myself. Also, I have no idea how to set a Boot Flag. and Window registry keys HKLM seem very strange to me.

20. MikeR.

MikeR. Junior Member

TomPax, he is referring to Windows as a guest OS (running on the native Mac OS) not logging in as a guest user.

I've applied the first of the registry fixes and rebooted, I'll let it roll for another couple of hours and apply the second reg fix if it doesn't work. It looks like the <some number here> might not be the same across VMs (since they are referring to audio devices in the system) which is a bummer, since I would have made a .reg file that people could download to fix this.