Parallels causes Mac to Hang with Pinwheel for long periods

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidJ31, Jun 23, 2019.

1. DavidJ31

DavidJ31 Bit poster

Parallels 14 "14.1.3 (45485) has become entirely unusable with Window 10 Pro.
    The VM starts normally, then after a few minutes Parallels causes my 2018 Mac Book Pro 15" to hang with a Pinwheel. If I allow the mac to run, in about 30 minutes whatever it was works itself out.
    My Mac runs great independent of Parallels. I'm running macOS Mojave (10.14.5).
    Using Parallels causes it to hang for long periods of time (10-30 minutes). This issue obviously defeats the purpose of using Parallels.
    I know others have reported this same issue but I have yet to see a resolution. Parallels email support was no help and just sent me a generic boilerplate email response. I'm reluctant to attempt a screen-sharing support session because once the mac is hung I can't imagine the screen-sharing session will continue working. I generally can't even load a web page when this happens.

Question 1: Is there any way to configure Parallels or my Mac so that Parallels cannot cause it to hang? I'm fine with decreased parallels performance.
    Question 2: Is there any way to identify the root cause of this issue?
    Question 3: Is there any known solution?

Thanks for all your help.

-David

2. asdffdas

asdffdas Bit poster

I have same problem. Did this ever get solved.

Tried upgrading to 15 and it got worse.

Recommend not upgrading until this gets fixed.

Was it fixed?

Is there a fix?

Parallels pretty much unusable at this point. Considering moving to another product.

3. DavidJ31

DavidJ31 Bit poster

Amazing how much work is was to reply to you.

What worked for me was using a high-speed samsung external SDD for my Windows VM.

I went down this path after discovering that hard drive usage was high. I'm on a Mac Book Pro 2018 with 2K MB/s read/write.

4. asdffdas

asdffdas Bit poster

I am on a fairly fast MacPro with ssd so not sure that is it.