Parallels Desktop 11 and 'teleport' app - HID hooking/keyboard redirection broken in fullscreen

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HunterDG, Sep 9, 2015.

1. HunterDG

HunterDG Junior Member

I use multiple Macs and I use the brilliant 'teleport' program to redirect my mouse/keyboard input from my laptop to my desktop over the LAN (so I don't need mouse/keyboard connected to desktop). I recently upgraded to PD 11 and it appears to have broken the keyboard redirection functionality when running in Coherence/Fullscreen mode (I always use fullscreen). Mouse redirection works (i can move my mouse off the laptop screen and to the desktop screen) but any keyboard input results in the Mac 'error' system sound and my key presses are not transferred to the desktop machine. Quitting Parallels desktop (or switching the VM to windowed mode and then moving the focus AWAY from the Parallels window) allows keyboard redirection to work properly, but this is not ideal, as I want to use my VM in fullscreen mode. One would assume that just switching focus to another Mac desktop space or app (with the VM still in fullscreen on another desktop space) would work, but it does not. Parallels seems to be improperly hooking the keyboard input while in fullscreen, regardless of OS X focus.

I uninstalled PD 11 by moving app to trash and then reinstalled PD 10, and the issue persisted so I assume this is a setting in a preference file.. I had to completely remove PD by using the PDRemove 2 tool, then reinstall PD 10 to resolve the issue completely (teleport keyboard redirection now works properly even with VM in fullscreen mode).

I opened a very detailed and descriptive case with Parallels support and naturally they gave me a KB article that does not apply to my issue, but it does mention a prl_perf_ctl hidhook command that might be useful. I haven't tried exploring any further as i am not familiar with PD terminal commands.

Compounding the problem, this will be an difficult issue to 'show' to support as it cannot be demonstrated by a screen sharing session.

Any suggestions welcome.. As I don't generally have time to spend digging around in preference files, I prefer not to be the one who has to find the solution (that's what paid support is for, after-all right?).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015