Parallels Desktop 11 stuck on start-up after MSConfig

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by robbm, May 19, 2020.

1. robbm

robbm Bit poster

Parallels Desktop 11 has been working fine under Mojave for the occasions when I need to use Edge or Access. However, today I tried using MSConfig to boot into Safe Mode (in order to guide my mum through remotely fixing her PC) but it never restarted successfully, and now I can't start Windows. When I try to start my VM, it says "Preparing Automatic Repair" then "Diagnosing your PC" then:

Automatic Repair
    Your PC did not start correctly
    Press "Restart" to restart your PC, which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press "Advanced options" to try
    other options to repair your PC.

If I click "Restart", it then says:

: (
    Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart it for you.

Or:

: (
    Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart it for you.

But this just takes me back to the beginning, or gets stuck forever on a screen with a spinning circle under the Windows logo. Similarly, if I choose:
    • "Advanced options" then "Continue"
    • "Advanced options" then "Troubleshoot" then "Advanced options" (again) then "Start-up Repair"
    • "Advanced options" then "Troubleshoot" then "Advanced options" (again) then "Start-up Settings" then "Restart" then "Enter" ("Return to your operating system").
    • "Advanced options" then "Troubleshoot" then "Advanced options" (again) then "Start-up Settings" then "Restart" then "4" ("Enable Safe Mode").
    Any suggestions on how I can break this loop?
    (Managed to fix my mum's PC anyway!)

2. GowthamR@Parallels

GowthamR@Parallels Member

@robbm Hi, Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac is not compatible with Mac OS Mojave. For reference please refer to this KB article https://kb.parallels.com/114381 please try to run compatible version of Parallels Desktop which will resolve the issue.

3. robbm

robbm Bit poster

Very disappointing response. Almost two months after I raised my query, and misleading (if not objectively false).
    Clearly, I haven't been waiting all this time for Parallels to respond. Unable to break the loop I deleted my virtual machine, and created a new one. (Fortunately, I don't keep any critical data on my Windows partition.)
    But aside from this one issue (which seems to be related to a Windows update that caused lots of issues for lots of users regardless of hardware platform) I've been successfully using Desktop 11 with Mojave for the last two years. It might not be optimised for Mojave. It might not be officially supported for Mojave. But while there might even be some compatibility issues, it seems disingenuous to say simply that it's "not compatible" - and symptomatic of a focus on income rather than customer satisfaction.