Parallels Desktop 19 Performance Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by palyons, Sep 20, 2023.

1. palyons

palyons Bit poster

I just recently purchased Parallels Desktop 19 today. Have a fresh install of macOS 14.0 RC on my Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Pro.

I am running the latest Public Release of Windows 11 on ARM64 (22621)

The issue I'm having is a simple one. I seem to have problems "clicking" on the Minimized, Maximize, and Close buttons on -any- open Window, whether it be File Explorer, Edge, Firefox, etc.

It should be noted the issue happens -only- when the Window is maximized, is much less of an issue when it's not full-sized. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

2. palyons

palyons Bit poster

So far it seems like it has something to do with the Parallels Virtual Machine Window being ran in Full Screen Mode, when I have the VM window smaller, but the application window(s) maximized everything works fine? I never once had this issue in previous versions of Parallels, It would be nice if this could be fixed.

3. RobW16

RobW16 Bit poster

Did you try to reinstall Parallels Desktop 19? What about keyboard shortcuts, do they work?

4. palyons

palyons Bit poster

This is a fresh install of macOS 14 RC, as well as a fresh install of Parallels Desktop 19. Keyboard shortcuts work fine. I think this bug ties into the macOS Dock popping up in Full Screen Mode too.

5. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    Would you reproduce the issue again and generate a technical report at the moment of reproduction? Click Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press 'Send Report' and send the report's 9-digit ID in your reply. We'd also appreciate if you attached a recording of the issue to the technical report as well, please.

6. palyons

palyons Bit poster

Here is the 9-digit number I was given after I sent the technical data:
    Also here is a video the problem happening:
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/spyq...1-AM.mp4?rlkey=nbivxspzvx8ohq10rwzbtrehm&dl=1

As you can see, the minimize, maximize, and close buttons become unresponsive for most application windows, when Parallels Desktop is running in full-screen mode. But if I run Parallels in windowed-mode, the issue is non-existent. So this leads me to believe it's somewhat-related to the macOS Dock bug in full screen mode too.

Also it should be noted, I have upgraded from macOS 14 RC to macOS 14 RC2 as of yesterday afternoon.

7. palyons

palyons Bit poster

Just bumping this, haven't heard anything back yet.

8. MarceliK

MarceliK

I've got the same issue after updating my Studio to Sonoma...

9. Mikhail Ushakov

Thank you for the provided data. I've just opened a ticket for you directly in the Second Line of the Parallels Support. Please expect an email shortly.
    A quick question - has the issue started to happen only after upgrading your host macOS to Sonoma 14?

10. Mikhail Ushakov

I've just opened a ticket for you too to investigate the issue.

11. palyons

palyons Bit poster

I've had macOS Sonoma the entire duration of the beta period. Previously I had Parallels Desktop 17. So I wouldn't know if the issue was present in non-beta versions of macOS or not. And I had just bought Parallels 19 the very same day I posted this thread.

12. AzinS

AzinS Member

i see the same problem. I've upgraded the MacOS to Sonoma and Win 11 VM is so unresponsive in full screen mode.

13. AzinS

AzinS Member

@palyons have you been able to figure out the source of issue?

14. ChristopherW28

ChristopherW28 Bit poster

I have this exact problem. I'm running V19 on with windows 11 ARM on an M2 Mac studio. When in full screen mode, clicking the close button on any window does nothing. sometimes like with a web browser i can type a search or some other activity and then the close button can be clicked. Exiting full screen mode restores normal behavior. I didn't notice this until upgrading to Sonoma.

AzinS likes this.
  15. AzinS

AzinS Member

hi @Mikhail Ushakov Do you have any update regarding this issue?

16. VALLAJ

VALLAJ Bit poster

J'ai un problème similaire. J'ai un Imac 24 » M1 avec SONOMA. Parallel Desktop PRO version 19.0.0 (54570) et Windows 11 ARM installés
    En mode plein écran, l'écran se fige, la souris ne répond pas.
    Que puis-je faire?

17. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.
    Please be informed the issue has been escalated to our Development team and we have passed along the provided data to them.

In the meantime, to keep abreast of potential fixes and updates, you can subscribe to this article https://kb.parallels.com/en/129860 and click on the "get updates" button to be notified of future updates.

Thanks

18. palyons

palyons Bit poster

Just wanted to report, that I very recently (5 minutes ago) updated to Parallels Desktop v19.1.0. The issue for now seems to be resolved, no more macOS Sonoma Dock popping up at the bottom of the screen, and in addition, the Maximize, Minimize, and Close Window button seems to be much more responsive.

And also the Windows Operating System as a whole, seems much more snappier as well. Excellent performance upgrade.

19. ChristopherW28

ChristopherW28 Bit poster

I also can report the unresponsive behavior of maximized windows seems to be resolved with update to parallels 19.1

20. AzinS

AzinS Member

upgrading to 19.1 version has fixed the unresponsive behavior of maximized window for me.