Parallels Desktop 9 on Sierra

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Daniel12, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Daniel12

Daniel12 Bit poster

Hi Community.

I have this problem and don´t know what is to do.

Does anybody have this problem too?

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

2. Daniel12

Daniel12 Bit poster

Picture

Attached Files:

3. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @Daniel12
    Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac is not compatible with Mac OS Sierra. Please purchase Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac which is an optimized version of Mac OS Sierra.

4. ElizabethN2

ElizabethN2 Bit poster

Hello @Daniel12

As has been mentioned before, Parallels says Parallels Desktop 9 is NOT compatible with OS X Sierra. Installing from the installer package results in an error stating "Parallels Desktop can be installed from a disk image only. Please open the Parallels Desktop DMG file and try again".

Attempting to install directly from the installer file within the DMG results in ERROR 13580. I like to call this the "Apple and/or Parallels wants you to buy new crap" error. This error comes up for different reasons, but if you're reading this, it's probably the "Apple and/or Parallels wants you to buy new crap" error.

THE GOOD NEWS IS, PARALLELS DESKTOP 9 ABSOLUTELY CAN RUN ON SIERRA!!!
    Here's how to defeat the evil 13580 error, and install Parallels Desktop 9 on OS X Sierra.

*Note* I'd like to thank @lawlist for his Apple Forum post on getting Parallels Desktop 8 to install for pointing me in the right direction to get this problem resolved. His original post can be found here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7287392?start=0&tstart=0

Step 1: Disable your mac's System Integrity Protection program. (AKA the "Apple wants you to buy new crap" program).
    Shut Down your Mac. Boot your mac, and hold the "Command" & "R" keys simultaneously as soon as you hear the startup sound. This will boot up the mac into the Online Recovery Environment. Be patient, depending on your internet speeds, this could take awhile. Once the Recovery Environment is loaded, select the language you want to use. In the menubar, click "Utilities", and then click "Terminal", and enter the following command.

csrutil disable

The terminal will return the following message: "Successfully disabled System Integrity Protection. Please restart the machine for the changes to take effect."

Reboot the machine.

Step 2: Download the Parallels Desktop 9 installation DMG image directly from Parallels by typing the following web address into Safari (or any browser):

www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd9

Step 3: Mount the Parallels Installer DMG and install Parallels Desktop 9 from within the DMG's internal file structure:
    Do this by double-clicking on the file you just downloaded from Parallels. The DMG's name should be "ParallelsDesktop-9.0.24251.1052177.dmg" This will open the Parallels Desktop 9 Install window, however, simply double-clicking on the "Install" button will yield the following error: "Parallels Desktop can be installed from a disk image only. Please open the Parallels Desktop DMG file and try again". SO... Instead of double-clicking on the installer package, instead, secondary-click the installer package instead (Right-click, ctrl+click, or cmd+click, depending on your preferences), and click on "show package contents". This opens a finder window with a single folder called "Contents". Open the "Contents" folder by double-clicking it. This opens a new finder windows with three folders, and one file. Open the folder called "MacOS" by double-clicking it. Inside the "MacOS folder is a single file called "Install". Run the installer by double-clicking it. The installer will ask for an administrator username password, just like when installing any program. Enter your username (if not pre-filled) and your password to give Parallels permission to install.

Step 4: Re-enable System Integrity Protection.
    Shut Down your Mac. Boot your mac, and hold the "Command" & "R" keys simultaneously as soon as you hear the startup sound. This will boot up the mac into the Online Recovery Environment. Be patient, depending on your internet speeds, this could take awhile. Once the Recovery Environment is loaded, select the language you want to use. In the menubar, click "Utilities", and then click "Terminal", and enter the following command.

csrutil enable

The terminal will return the following message: "Successfully enabled System Integrity Protection. Please restart the machine for the changes to take effect."

Reboot the machine.

Step 5: JUMP FOR JOY! YOU DID IT!

5. JenniferP1

JenniferP1 Bit poster

Hello, I am desperately trying to resolve an incompatibility issue...I went ahead and upgraded to Sierra without thinking about the impact on Parallels. if I re-install Parallels using this technique, will I be able to access my former files from Parallels 9? Thanks so much for any help!!