Parallels Desktop.app is hidden file in /Applications folder?!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Parallels User, Oct 7, 2017.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017
  3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

5. markh22

markh22 Bit poster

Same issue here - not sure why Parallels icon is hidden. I see it in launchpad.

6. StefanK11

StefanK11 Bit poster

I have the same issue - with a fresh install of macOS and the activated version of Parallels 13. It's actually pretty annoying, that it is hidden. There is a workaround: Just press CMD + Shift + . while being in Finder, to show all hidden files. And press the same three keys again, to hide them again. No Terminal command needed.

However, it is very annoying. Is there an official way to request this bug can be reported? (I hope it's a bug and not a "feature".)

7. PaulW9

PaulW9 Bit poster

I managed to fix it using this from a Terminal window:
    sudo xattr -d com.apple.FinderInfo /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app
    I had to relaunch Finder after (Option + Right-click dock icon for Finder and select Relaunch).
    I had also tried the following previously:
    sudo chflags nohidden /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app
    but that didn't seem to remove the extended attributes.
    Not sure why the latest update caused this, but it was a bit annoying.
    At least now I can find it in the Applications folder again (until the next time perhaps).

Hope this works for you.

8. JimA4

JimA4 Bit poster

Same here. U could also launch Parallels desktop and click the option"keep in dock" I'm just sayin'

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  9. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hi All, to find the Parallels Desktop icon on the Mac side, please follow as suggested at below:
    1. Launch Terminal ( Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal).

2. Execute the following commands:

ls -la /Applications

prlsrvctl problem-report --send

3. Reply us back with the output ( the output should contain the ls -la and PR ID).

4. To fix the issue execute the following Terminal command:

sudo chflags nohidden /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/ and check if this works, Thanks!

Parallels User likes this.
  10. JimA4

JimA4 Bit poster

Where should we send the report?

11. JimA4

JimA4 Bit poster

Never mind. Thanks

12. KaiW1

KaiW1 Bit poster

@ Meenakshi

now I can see the app in Finder->Applications, but I can not see it in my shortcut to Applications in the bar.
    But...
    Deleting the shortcut and creating it new shows it!

13. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JohnS36, it's a workaround and our engineers are working on it. It will be updated under Parallels Desktop 13 update summary. Stay tuned

15. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi guys, we released a new update Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 1 Hotfix 1 (13.1.1-43120) and this update addresses this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

16. Calion

Calion Bit poster

This is still happening for me in 16.0.1. I originally installed the last iteration of version 15, and only just noticed the issue.

17. GlennS4

GlennS4 Bit poster

I concur with Calion. Still happens on 16.0.1 on Catalina 10.15.7. Just noticed again this morning.
    This has been happening at least as far back as Parallels Desktop version 10.
    Using chflags doesn't fix it all the time but xattr -d seems to work reliably.

18. Guys, if the issue reproduced at Parallels Desktop 16.0.1.
    please collect tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.
    Any screenshot of the issue (if you get any error/warning message) will be very helpful.
    Looking forward to your reply.