Parallels Desktop.app would like to access data from other apps

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Thomas Okken, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Thomas Okken

Thomas Okken Bit poster

I'm getting the message "Parallels Desktop.app" would like to access data from other apps every time I launch a VM. I can choose between Don't Allow and Allow, but there appears to be no way to make that choice permanent.

This started happening a couple of months ago, when I was still running Parallels Desktop 18. I figured it had to have something to do with the MacOS Sonoma upgrade, and that the next version of Parallels Desktop would fix the issue, but unfortunately it is still happening after I upgraded to 19. How can I stop this dialog box from popping up on every VM launch?

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 14.46.48.png

I'm using a MacBook Air M1 with Sonoma 14.1.2 and Parallels Desktop 19.1.1. I have two VMs, each created by the Parallels VM creation wizard, one with Windows 11 and one with Ubuntu 22.04. Both VMs are affected.

MarcelloR likes this.
  2. dock1

dock1

Best Answer
    Solved - "Parallels Desktop.app" would like to access data from other apps (Very Annoying!)
    Allow Full disk Access to Parallels.
    System Settings-Privacy & Security-Full Disk Access
    - Mac M2 Max, Parallels 19

JimG8 and Pramesh Boodadoo like this.
  3. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

Out of curiosity, if you go into Settings > Privacy & Security > Files & Folders, does it look like this?

2023-12-05_09-02-11.gif

If it doesn't, then flip the switches shown to the ON position and see if that helps.

4. Thomas Okken

Thomas Okken Bit poster

On my machine, under System Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Files and Folders -> Parallels Desktop, there are only four switches: Desktop Folder, Documents Folder, Downloads Folder, and Network Volumes. All four are set to ON.

5. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

I'd email them and work with Tech Support at this point.

6. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hi Thomas.
    I have the same issue since I installed PD 19. Did you solved this problem?

7. PeterJ39

PeterJ39

I have the same annoying problem. Would really appreciate any replies with a solution. Thanks in advance. :)

8. LeRoi

LeRoi Hunter

Check your VM. You can right click and select Configure when the VM is shut down. Go to Options/Sharing and check your settings for Windows Sharing.

9. dock1

dock1

Best Answer
    Solved - "Parallels Desktop.app" would like to access data from other apps (Very Annoying!)
    Allow Full disk Access to Parallels.
    System Settings-Privacy & Security-Full Disk Access
    - Mac M2 Max, Parallels 19

JimG8 and Pramesh Boodadoo like this.
  10. ShlomitH

ShlomitH Bit poster

Hello,
    I'm on mac studio M2 sonoma with Parallels desktop 17 for mac. All my setting are the same as explained here (I hope) but I keep getting this message every time I open Parallels. Attached is a screenshot of my settings, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
    Shlomit

Attached Files: