Parallels desktop can not set TRUE monitor resolution in multiple monitor

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MaziarN, Jan 26, 2014.

1. MaziarN

MaziarN Bit poster

I have one macbook pro retina 15 inch 2013 with external thunderbolt display
    i use boot camp direct boot and also from my mac via parallels

i use multiple monitor

i try set TRUE resolution for resolution of monitors for my internal macbook retina and also my thunderbolt display

i test it with all different setting of option->options->Full screen->scale to fit screen modes
    but for all modes i have problem with setting NATIVE TRUE Resolution of my display

for example parallels set my thunderbolt display to 5120*2880 ! or for some setting set to 2880*1880 (same as my retina !) in default

changing it to true value reset automatically after reset or logout my VM or change to coherence mode !

but you knowing the default maximum resolution of Thunderbolt display is 2560*1440

i have also some same problem with retina is some setting

PD9 lastest version in osx 10.9.1
    guest os :windows 7
    mac: MacBook Pro retina 15" 2013

2. AlexZ1

AlexZ1 Junior Member

I have the same problem on PD12 and PD13 with Macbook Pro 2017. Anybody ever found a solution?

3. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

I too had some issues getting my resolutions working correctly so that windows were scaled the same on both my MBP display and my external display.

My setup is:
    • An external Dell 2560x1440 as my primary display
    • The built-in 2017 MacBook Pro Retina Display 3360x2100 as my secondary display
    I took notes on how I did it; here they are in case it helps anyone:
    • In Parallels configuration for the VM:
      • Set Hardware -> Graphics -> resolution to Scaled
      • Set Options -> Fullscreen -> Advanced -> Scale to Fit Screen to Off
    • In Windows 10 guest OS control panel for displays:
      • Change scaling of both displays to 100%
      • Set external display to 2560x1440 (which is the native resolution for that display)
      • Set MacBook display to 1680x1050 (which is half the native resolution for the display)
    Hope that helps.

4. AlexZ1

AlexZ1 Junior Member

5. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

No sorry, I don't use Coherence, so I don't know. I overlooked the fact that the original poster was using it.