Parallels Desktop freeze

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by johnnyn1, Feb 1, 2016.

1. johnnyn1

johnnyn1 Bit poster

Gents,
    I am running parallels (latest version) on my macpro (late 2013, latest OSX updated), 32 gb ram and quadcore cpu. Parallels run alone, no other sw than the OS is running.

Every now and then; once a day or more, Parallels desktop UI hangs and I get the spinning ball. The normal OSX interface is responding and I can start Activity Monitor etc, but Parallels is not responding - sometimes it comes back and I can gracefully shut it down and reboot. Thats the only thing that clears this issue.

I can see that the guest OS (windows 7) is running and doing what I set it to do, but I cant access it. Sometimes when I click on the desktop, activity monitor or the console the Parallels UI returns. In the logs I see that screen display updates (osx WindowServer) are having issues with Parallels UI updates; the logs contains messages like: "UI updates were finally reenabled/disabled" and so on.

Any good ideas ? I can shoot up a clip of the actual messages in the logs if needed.

/johnny

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Johny,
    Please set the boot argument on the Mac to workaround the issue:
    1. Run Terminal (/Finder/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and execute the command:
    sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0x10"
    You will need to type Mac Administrator password and hit Enter (return) (you will not see the symbols you type. It's OK.)
    This command enables the debugging mode. It means that if Mac crashes it will attempt to collect the kernel dump. It will not affect the Mac performance.
    2. Reboot your Mac and let us know how it works. Thanks!

3. johnnyn1

johnnyn1 Bit poster

Hi Paul Chris, I enabled it - no issues :) The mac does not crash, but I think the WindowServer does. What do I do when I experience the above mentioned Parallels UI hang ?

/johnny

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi Johnnyn1,
    Go to Actions > Configure > Options > Optimization > disable Free Space: Real-time Virtual Disk Optimization.
    If the "Real-time Virtual Disk Optimization" option is enabled, it may slow disk performance up to 30% (at the moment of compaction, not constantly). If the host has an SSD disk, the feature will be enabled by default for all virtual machines but will work only if it is compatible with the guest OS.
    Open virtual machine configuration > switch to Options tab > Optimization tab > Set performance to Faster virtual machine; check Enable adaptive hypervisor and Tune Windows for speed. If you're not running on battery power, you can also turn on the Better performance option.

5. johnnyn1

johnnyn1 Bit poster

Hi Paul
    My MacPro does not have any battery - and only comes with a SSD... and better performance is selected. It is not the performance I am chasing here, it is the fact that Parallels kills the OS or vice versa. So, I enabled the debug settings, removed the disk optimisation from the VM's.

I've had several occasions where my MacPro crashes when Parallels is starting up. Parallels starts when logging on and on a number of logins the whole OS freezes when Parallels powers up the VM's. The mouse is active, but thats it - the OS and Parallels is frozen. Power cycle is the only thing that can resolve it.

Now, what can I get you from the Mac ?

/johnny

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi, since we need to investigate deeper, please email us the issue description along with the report ID and screenshot to cs(at)parallels(.)com, so we can check it for you.

7. johnnyn1

johnnyn1 Bit poster

I did :) mail on its way to you.

Thanks... :)

8. johnnyn1

johnnyn1 Bit poster

report ID 88369249

9. johnnyn1

johnnyn1 Bit poster

Hi Paul Chris,
    I have no news about my support case, can you check please ?

/j

10. johnnyn1

johnnyn1 Bit poster

Hi... report ID 88369249 - I sent it in a long time ago... what is happening ? I am not really sure if this is a support forum or not...

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hello All, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 11 Update 1 Hotfix 3 (11.1.3-32521) was released. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

12. johnnyn1

johnnyn1 Bit poster

Hi... what is the outcome of the investigation on the ticket ???

/j

13. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi, with your previous Report ID we find that you are using an older build of Parallels Desktop for Mac. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build and check if it helps.