Parallels Desktop7: Windows XP VS badly crashing after upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by OlegV, Sep 9, 2011.

1. OlegV

OlegV Member

Dear || gurus,

I've just upgraded from PD6 to PD7. I do have 2 VMs on my hard drive, both were created and successfully run under PD6:

- Windows XP Pro 32bit SP3
    - Windows 7 Pro 64bit

After the upgrade and reinstalling Parallel Tools in the VMs, 7 is still perfectly happy while XP is now badly crashing every time you are trying to shutdown. I get a BSOD and VM automatically restarts despite I'm actually shutting down. Its a dead loop and the only way to shut it down is to use "stop" command.

I tried reinstalling Parallel Tools again in XP guest but that doesn't change anything. Any ideas or pointers very welcome!

The BSOD text is:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error ... bla-bla-bla ...

*** STOP : 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x00010043, 0x8A33FB88)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd just send a screenshot of the BSOD but seems can't find a way to attach a picture to the forum post.

2. Worldiver

Worldiver Bit poster

I am having the exact same issue with Win7 x86. For now, the workaround is to shut down the VM using the Shut Down function in PD7. Have a hunch the issue is caused by Parallels Tools and the drivers Windows installs to share hardware between Mac and the VM, but I need to research this further. You may want to follow this thread: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=113840

Looks like we're in a similar boat.

3. Soulplayer

Soulplayer Bit poster

I have the exact same problem. Every time I shut windows down, it crashes and gives me the error bad_pool_caller...