Parallels devouring all the memory: prl_vm_app sucking it dry

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by elasticmedia, May 14, 2015.

1. elasticmedia

elasticmedia Member

My friend is using v. 9 of parallels desktop. She has 20 gigs of memory on an iMac. I haven't confirmed whether her problem is running out of system memory or having prl_vm_app go over 100% of CPU capacity (that seems like a common problem). Browsing the archives here, it is apparent that many people have this issue. I don't: I have 32 gigs of memory on an iMac and I don't get these problems. I don't know if v. 10 has any advantage in avoiding these problems.

Some of the things on the window side that can cause problems of this type that are mentioned are video cards, defragging, and indexing. The forums reports I looked at seemed to be about 4 years old. Many of the people in the threads were pretty much stopped in their tracks and could not use parallels any more. The parallels moderators were not very helpful.

Any new solutions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

3. elasticmedia

elasticmedia Member

thank you for this tip; the problem is, the problem is sporadic, so there would be no resolution in doing this. As it was, I stopped indexing IE history which probably won't help since she doesn't use it - and I removed 6 gigs of temp files (mostly windows update residue) which very likely might help. As it is, the computer did not misbehave after the session, but there is no guarantee that it won't do it in the future.