Parallels full screen & mac screen/energy saving

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by deeprave, Oct 31, 2010.

1. deeprave

deeprave Bit poster

Hello all,

I solved a problem I had with the mouse being way oversensitive in games I run on a Windows 7 VM by adding a USB mouse to the system and attaching this directly to the VM. This works a treat, I get normal mouse behaviour and sensitivity is fully controllable within the VM and game (unlike the virtual mouse which seems to ignore such settings completely).

As a byproduct of this, however, I found that regardless of the keyboard being used, using this mouse in the VM does not prevent OSX from deciding that the computer is idle. After the usual time as though the computer isn't being used, the screen is dimmed (which of course I can configure not to happen) and eventually the OSX screen saver cuts in. This VM is running in full screen mode (it apparently isn't possible to use coherence mode with the 2nd mouse in this way).

I can't seem to disable the screen/energy saver, and would have expected Parallels to be doing this automatically, such as DVDPlayer and other full screen video software does. Am I missing something or is this a feature request? :)

2. mr_q

mr_q Member

Hey thanks for this idea! I never even thought to do that! Mouse is now perfect! However I was experiencing the Energy Preferences even before doing this. So for now I disable it in OSX when planning on playing for a while.

I even left the keyboard on the OSX to see if that would help with sleep prevention, it didn't.