Parallels, Homebridge, and Carbon Copy Cloner

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by tannebil, Aug 22, 2020.

1. tannebil

tannebil Junior Member

My host is running Mojave with Parallels 16. I have three macOS Catalina guests. Each runs Homebridge to bridge non-HomeKit accessories to HomeKit. Homebridge is started by a LaunchDaemon and is administered through a browser interface so the VMs don't have a logged-in user while running.

I backup all the VMs every morning at 3am using Carbon Copy Cloner. CCC provides a pre-flight shell script that pauses all the active VMs and a post-flight script that resumes them. That works fine except that Parallels only recommends backing up a VM when it is shutdown. Easy enough to change the pre-flight script to use STOP rather than PAUSE and the first night runs great. Except that all the Homebridge accessories show as unavailable. I look at the Homebridge logs via the browser and they look normal. If I then use the browser to restart the Homebridge service, the accessories show as available (and the log entries are exactly the same). If I test the STOP and START scripts while logged into the VM, everything works fine. But when CCC runs the START script, I get this odd "looks like it is working but not really" result.

The only difference that comes to mind is that CCC runs the post-flight script as root and uses "sudo -u $me $prlctl start $vm" to restart the machine under my user account and that is somehow creating an issue with the VM that trips up Homebridge? Maybe between the common services provided by the Parallels Control Center process and the VM? Any ideas? I'm mostly trying to figure out where I should raise the issue. Parallels? Homebridge? CCC?