parallels in STARTUP PROCESSES for 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jonathan_david, Nov 19, 2012.

1. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

hi all.

i am supposed to be getting my 13" MacBookPro from mac repair this week but i am hesitant to accept their explanations. i am having an issue with mac repair where they are telling me that the poor performance (less than 1 1/2 hours on battery when surfing safari and constant beachball hangs of 10 - 30 seconds or more basically since the day i bought it).

can anyone help me answer some of the following in order to refute their assertion that the computer is fine and good to go? they seem to be telling me to run almost no software on the machine in order to get decent performance or battery life.

also, can anyone tell me if it is worth running the machine after UNINSTALLING parallels on this machine to see if things improve even though i am not running parallels or the virtual machine when off battery?! and is it possible that some of the items in the startup menu are parallels related and if so is there a way to remove them??

suggestions?

can you please help me with an issue related to my mid 2009 MacBookPro
    which is still under applecare warranty for another three months? i
    have always had problems with 1 1/2 - 2 hour battery life when running
    safari and beachball hangs on opening Pages or Safari etc (but i won't
    go into other issues i have had with this machine).

after repair last week mac genius bar repair is telling me that i
    cannot have Carbon Copy Cloner or ChronoSync in the startup menu items
    if i want to get acceptable performance from the machine. they seem to
    attribute the problems to these two software items showing up in
    startup items as well as some others that they say they have never
    heard of but cannot document for me for some reason. i had thought i
    had /removed/ both of these and i am wondering a couple of things.

1. does CCC 'autopopulate" this startup list or is there a check in
    preferences to prevent this - and if so what do i lose by not allowing
    it to start in the startup items.

2. do you consider it reasonable for mac to require me not to have CCC
    or Chronosync in the startup items in order to get more than 2 hours
    of battery life and/or no beachball hangs?

i am a relatively new user, not using the laptop for computationally
    intensive applications, and am at a loss as to why i have had so much
    difficulty with this machine...i was hoping you could offer some
    expertise or even talking points related to a replacement.

regards,

jon

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Press and hold the Shift key during startup (right after you have turned you computer on and until you see the login window), this will boot into safe mode, in this mode all login (startup) items are disabled, browse the internet, check email and see how long the battery lasts, if it lasts much longer I bet it's because of one or more of those startup programs you have (not CCC or Chrono Sync, those other that they never heard of are more likely the culprits).

That's the only way to know the truth, short of uninstalling all those programs.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  3. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

hi. thank you.

can you help me here a little more?

i mean, i am wondering if there are mac startup items that are causing this issue in mac os (no battery life and beachball hangs) or if there are parallels processes that are running in startup (for instance) even when i am not running parallels or running windows.

are you saying that i should start up in safe mode in mac or in windows? i am not following you in part because when i boot with option key down i am usually getting an option to boot into repair mode or into one of my native windows installations (or into Lion OS).

THANKS

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I said Shift key, not option key, I'm referring to OS X boot. This is the equivalent to the safe boot of Windows but in OS X.

Most likely culprit: Whatever are the other startup items you have (that are not Parallels) when booting OSX.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012