winSharp93
Bit poster
Hi,
today I've had a very unfortunate experience with Parallels while working in Windows under OSX Mavericks:
I was typing some text while a dialog popped up. However, at the same moment I tried to create a linebreak (hitting ENTER). This caused the dialog to be dismissed successfully (I didn't have the chance to read it) and before I could actually realize what was happening, my VM was suspended and Parallels updated. After the update completed a couple of minutes later, the guest needed a restart because the Parallels tools were updated automatically, too.
Because of this, I lost about 10 minutes and the thought I was currently working on.
This is definitely not how I expect automatic-updates to work: Hitting the enter key on a keyboard is not that uncommon. As I experienced, it actually can happen that the key-press happens at the same time the update dialog opens.
As a solution, I would suggest implementing one of the following solutions:
Regards,
winSharp93
today I've had a very unfortunate experience with Parallels while working in Windows under OSX Mavericks:
I was typing some text while a dialog popped up. However, at the same moment I tried to create a linebreak (hitting ENTER). This caused the dialog to be dismissed successfully (I didn't have the chance to read it) and before I could actually realize what was happening, my VM was suspended and Parallels updated. After the update completed a couple of minutes later, the guest needed a restart because the Parallels tools were updated automatically, too.
Because of this, I lost about 10 minutes and the thought I was currently working on.
This is definitely not how I expect automatic-updates to work: Hitting the enter key on a keyboard is not that uncommon. As I experienced, it actually can happen that the key-press happens at the same time the update dialog opens.
As a solution, I would suggest implementing one of the following solutions:
- Use a OSX notification for the update dialog.
- Require a minimum delay (maybe 2 seconds) before the dialog can be accepted
- Don't accept keyboard input on the dialog (however, an unfortunate mouse click might still trigger an unwanted update)
Regards,
winSharp93
