Parallels Mobile Confusion

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jcjost, Feb 8, 2013.

1. jcjost

jcjost Junior Member

I found the instructions of the Parallels Mobile app to be incomplete, if not confusing. For example, in order for the app to work:

1. Must the Mac be turned on?
    2. Can the Mac be turned on but be in sleep mode?
    3. Must Parallels itself be opened?
    4. Must the Virtual Machine be opened?

John

2. jcjost

jcjost Junior Member

Can't Get Parallels Mobile to Work

Does this app work? I have Parallels Desktop 8 running on Mountain Lion on my iMac. Both the Desktop and app (on my iPad 2) are logged onto the Parallels server. The Desktop is powered on, and Parallels is running. Yet, all I get is the "No computers connected" screen on my iPad. Does it matter that the Desktop is likely in sleep mode as I'm away from home?

John

3. strells

strells Product Expert

In the Parallels Desktop menu, in Preferences, go to Mobile. Make sure you set this up. Then, the mobile app should be able to find your VM.

Steve

4. jcjost

jcjost Junior Member

Thank you for your reply. I have both Parallels Desktop 8 and the Parallels App correctly set up and am logged in on both. My Desktop (which is an iMac running Mountain Lion) is turned on. When I refresh the App on my iPad, I receive the message "No computers connected". Is it possible that the App does not work if the iMac is in sleep mode?

John

5. strells

strells Product Expert

The machine has to be awake. How could the app see it if it wasn't?

Steve

6. jcjost

jcjost Junior Member

All iMac's automatically go into sleep mode after a set period of time in order to conserve energy, unless the user expressly tells it not to. Most remote programs can "wake up" the iMac, indeed the default setting on Mountain Lion permits this. Are you telling me that Parallels Mobile cannot wake up the iMac? That would make it fairly useless for most people away from their Mac's. It would also be a major piece of information that you need to disclose to your customers.

John

7. strells

strells Product Expert

Well, I only sleep the display on my MBP when I remote in so I haven't had your issue. If you're talking about the "wake on LAN" option, I thought that was only over ethernet, not wireless (though you don't state if your iMac's connection is wired or wireless).

Steve

8. jcjost

jcjost Junior Member

My iMac has a wired connection. I'm new to Mac's, so just to be clear, in order for your Parallels Mobile App to see your MBP (and assuming that both are logged into the Parallels server), which one or more of these items must be true:

1. The MBP must be turned on.
    2. The MBP cannot be in sleep mode; in other words, Preferences>Energy Saver>Computer Sleep is set to Never
    3. Parallels Desktop must be running.

John

9. strells

strells Product Expert

Correct.

Steve

10. jcjost

jcjost Junior Member

Steve,

Thank you very much for your help in this. By leaving Parallels Desktop running on my iMac and changing the iMac's sleep mode setting to "Never," my iPad Parallels Mobile App was able to connect with my home iMac while I was at work this morning. Parallels should change its instructions to make it clear that the user must not only log onto the Parallels server, but also leave Parallels open on the Mac and change the Mac's sleep mode to Never.

Thanks again,
    John

11. strells

strells Product Expert

The VM doesn't have to be running. You can remote desktop to the Mac as well and, I believe, start a VM running.

Steve

12. jcjost

jcjost Junior Member

OK. Thanks.
    John

13. dansun

dansun Bit poster

Please Fix Parallels to send a WOL

This was a big issue for me as well, Can Parallels Please Fix Parallels to send a WOL to wake up my MAC?

Dan