Parallels not passing USB devices to Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JamesMcDowell, May 31, 2020.

1. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

I've recently switched to an iMac Pro. I've transferred over my system, but Parallels is not passing USB devices to Win 10 (latest Mojave updates, Parallels 15.1.4)

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels without success; even trying to delete old plist and preference files.

I can see the USB devices in the OS X system report ("About This Mac".) Parallels preference is set to "Ask Me What To Do" when plugging in a USB device. I also tried "Connect it to the active virtual machine" without any change in behaviour.

I tried a fresh install of Mojave and Parallels on an external drive. Same result. If I boot off a Windows disk (Boot Camp) the USB devices work fine.

This used to work, I don' know if it is the hardware change or a Mac or Parallels update that has caused the problem. In any event I am having to go the Boot Camp method for now as I need these devices (in particular an old printer and a sync cradle, both for Windows only.)

Any suggestions?

2. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

I forgot to mention, when I go to the menu Devices > USB and Bluetooth, the devices I want to connect to the machine are not listed.

3. I have the same problem - on my MAC it recognizes the printer linked via an USB cable - but when I switch over to Windows 11 it just cannot find it. I am at a loss - tried everything (even with the technician from the OEM of the printer) - they said that the cable connection seems not recognized. Did you actually resolve this problem?