Parallels on Intel Mac - black screen/unusable

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Don Awalt, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

I installed Parallels 18 on my 2 Macs yesterday - one Intel, one Apple/M1. So far the Apple/M1 is working fine. But this morning I find the Windows 11 VM on the Intel MacBook Pro is nothing but a black screen. After I could do nothing with it, I closed Parallels, went back to a VM from a week ago, and started that up - it appeared to be fine. But about 2-3 minutes in, it's a totally black screen again. I have tried:

1. Shutting down (it doesn't seem to do anything when I try this thru the Parallel menu on the Mac side);
    2. Stop/start

There is just nothing there - no bar with apps, sending Ctrl-Alt-Del from the Mac/Parallels side does nothing. I looked at the Parallels/Mac menu to see if I saw anything odd, and notice there are no devices other than Keyboard being reported! Usually it also has USB/Bluetooth, CD/DVD, Network, Sound Output, microphone, Camera, and Sharing:
    Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.07.11 AM.png
    And this shows the black screen (I run in full screen, it's next to my Mac desktop):
    Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.07.20 AM.png
    HELP! This is totally bricked and unusable - beware of migrating to ver. 18!

2. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

Also - could not reset - grayed out. I finally shut down everything and restarted; this time it did log in - and I noticed it updating Parallels Tools which it did not do yesterday when I upgraded. Seems to be running ok now.

MarcelloR likes this.
  3. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Hi Don,
    I was just about to write to you asking to check Parallels Tools installation because I had a similar problem as your, with Windows 10, some time ago.

4. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

Thanks @MarcelloR, so I guess somehow the improper or lack of Tools installation causes this...!?

5. MarcelloR

MarcelloR Member

Yes, I think so, but I'm not sure, because of your case involves a Windows 11 VM.
    Honestly, I had this issue just one time and with a W10 VM.
    The very question, here, is why your VM has not been updated with Parallels Tools at the first launch.
    This is strange.

6. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

Yes it's working fine this morning, so it does seem to be Tools did not update and hosed the system.

MarcelloR likes this.
  7. SteveG27

SteveG27 Bit poster

Im having much the same issue and have re-installed the tools. If I put the VM into suspend it takes a while to get the graphics back on the VM. If the windows VM suspends automatically it never comes back and I have to reset the VM. It's proving to be a nightmare.

8. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello @SteveG27, Did you manage to resolve the issue after resetting the Windows VM? Please reach us back here If the issue still persists.