Parallels or VirtualBox?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RickPrice, Oct 18, 2017.

1. RickPrice

RickPrice Bit poster

I've used Parallels since I got my first MacBook Pro in 2010 and was somewhat nervous about getting too far from Windows. I've lost any love for Windows in the ensuing years and have not used any VMs for it in at least 4 years with Mac and Linux serving my development and gaming needs just fine.

I once again find my self in need of a VM - not for Windows this time but for Linux. I've used Parallels for Ubuntu, RHES and Fedora in the past with excellent results.

My question is, if I am not interested in a VM of Win10 (and this is truly where Parallels shines), are there any reasons for a 30 year IT veteran to use Parallels over VirtualBox for Linux VMs? The $99/year price tag, while certainly not a deal breaker, is a factor in this as is the 1 seat license. Single seat licenses were OK when it wasn't the norm for a developer to have multiple machines all tied to a single account. I personally have an iMac, a MacBook Pro that lives in my office and one that I travel with My licenses are now up to around $300/yr. Again, not a killer but really? Single account licensing is becoming more and more common and under the work I am doing I can use a VirtualBox Personal license for the extension pack.

Still trying to decide and wanted to see if there are any good reasons to continue with Parallels or is VirtualBox the way to go?