Parallels renames .PVM and now Parallels Tools Will Not Work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PeterC39, Sep 1, 2021.

1. PeterC39

PeterC39 Bit poster

P. Desktop 14 crashed during an update. When reinstalling P. Desktop 14 there was some confusion as to how to do it. My MacBook Air would, all of a sudden, not display my "Windows 10.pvm" in Finder and P. Desktop 14 downloaded and self-installed a new Windows 10 file. Then the downloaded P. Desktop 14 displayed two ".pvm" files - (the new) "Windows 10.pvm" and renamed my 8 year old file to "Windows 10 (1).pvm". As I needed to keep using my old file, I removed and completely deleted the "Windows 10.pvm" file. It was then that I discovered that Coherence was not working, that it is seemingly a function of P. Tools. P. Tools will not load and continue to work because it says it is attached to another file. It should be attached to the "Windows 10 (1).pvm" file that the system renamed. I manually renamed the "Windows 10 (1).pvm" file back to "Windows 10.pvm" however when P. Desktop 14 starts, it still shows "Windows 10 (1).pvm". All very confusing. "How do I get P. Desktop 14 back to normal, running "Windows 10 (1).pvm" with Coherence?