Parallels Service & 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Daleski75, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

I think I can probably live with it too for now - I assume I will still be able to shift files about using my VM for now :)

2. 87racer

87racer Member

Confirmed that I have this issue too. Both afp and smb shares are broke in 32-bit mode. Strangely enough, screen sharing works though.

Firstly, try redownloading the launcher just to be sure.
    Secondly, are you using the app or the script?
    Thirdly, try opening the script in Applescript editor and clicking the compile button to see if you get any errors.

This is definitely fixable, just need more info on the cause.

Why can you not do a reinstall of PD7? Also, there are steps for creating a USB Lion disk if necessary.

If you are willing to email back and forth and do some troubleshooting we can probably get PD7 going without reinstalling.

3. SylvainP

SylvainP Junior Member

oops

Sorry Racer,

I meant the /Library/Parallels/ in the path beginning with

[hard disk name]/Library/Parallels/,

not [user]/Library/Parallels/ ...

so in my case it's 'MacBook Air SSD/Library/Parallels/'. That's where should be the 'Parallels Service' file which was dumped into 'Incompatible software' by installing ML on top of Lion. For the peeps who don't know where the 'Parallels Service' file is, it's under

[hard disk name]/Incompatible Software/

Peace out.

4. BobPhin

BobPhin Bit poster

5. 87racer

87racer Member

Check and see if you have your five kexts in "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/"

If you don't, reinstall parallels and try the launcher again.

If you do, try unzipping the attached file and running it in terminal with "bash <pathtofile>/ParallelsLauncher.sh" replacing <pathtofile> with the folder that you put it in.
    EX: bash ~/Desktop/ParallelsLauncher.sh

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  6. Mountain Lion

Mountain Lion Bit poster

Very Kind!

Dear Racer

"If you are willing to email back and forth and do some troubleshooting we can probably get PD7 going without reinstalling."

Thank you for your kind offer. The reason I didn't want to reinstall is I didn't want to lose all my programs etc in the parallels Windows 7. I am happy to re install if it means I can still access after, or would I have to start again. Have I understood this right?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Mark

7. safllc

safllc Bit poster

ML and PD7

Just received response from PD tech support that PD7:
    "Hello xxxx,

Your issue is handled by second line Technical Support.

Parallels has always been committed to supporting new Apple operating systems when they are released. Our engineers are hard at work with this developer preview.

When Mountain Lion is released to the public we will post and share details about its compatibility with Parallels Desktop for Mac products"

I think this means we're SOL, until Parallels come out with a fix.

8. GeoffreyZ

GeoffreyZ Member

Wow, that doesn't sound too promising. More like a PD8 upgrade for $49...we now have the choice of going back to Snow Leopard (or Lion) or booting into 32-bit mode with all its limitations until this summer (or fall).

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Parallels Team is missing the opportunity to satisfy the mac app development community, they fail to realize how important it is for these devs to be able to test their applications on different OS X releases either by virtualizing the unreleased OS (funny how they immediately supported the virtualization of Windows 8 preview), or the other way around.

10. 87racer

87racer Member

As long as you don't touch your ~/Documents/Parallels/ folder your VM remain exactly as before. The installation won't affect VMs and reinstalling Parallels is safe. After you get it reinstalled, instead of creating a new VM just click Open an existing one.

They did this for the Lion DP also. They finally posted the workaround that everybody was already using since DP1 about the time DP3 was out. So at this rate we can expect a KB post with what this thread came up with around May? Can't wait. :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

12. BobPhin

BobPhin Bit poster

87racer
    I have all 5 kext files in contents. I then downloaded and ran the file as you suggested. All seem to have completed ok. I then re-ran the Launcher V2 and got the same error> "The command exited with a non-zero status"

13. 87racer

87racer Member

those 5 commands replace the launcher. Try running Parallels now. You should be up and running! Not sure why the launcher isn't workingthough.

Also, we should get that feature request thread going with rationale, helpful requests. Maybe if Parallels sees enough devs are willing to be serious and not just complain we will get something from them. Specimen makes an excellent start in that direction.

14. 87racer,
    Yes, indeed, Parallels is working now. However, the networking module is not available. Can that also be corrected?

Thanks,
    Bob

15. 87racer

87racer Member

"
    Yes it should be. Try closing Parallels and running this line again:
    sudo kextutil -v "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext" -d "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext"

Check Parallels making sure you use a Bridged mode for networking. If it isn't working still copy and paste the whole text from terminal into a text document and attach it here.

16. it still is not working. See attached file. looks like there are issues with permissions.

Bob

Attached Files:

17. 87racer

87racer Member

Wow, ok try running both of these:
    sudo chmod -R 755 "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/"
    sudo chown -R 0:0 "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/"

and then try the launcher again after the chmod and chown commands.

If it doesn't work run:
    sudo kextutil -v "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext" -d "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext"

18. I have tried the above but still no luck. I also have uploaded the terminal file so you can see what is happening when I ran each command.

Attached Files:

19. 87racer

87racer Member

You have some recursive symbolic links (links linking to themselves). I am away from a computer atm but when I get back I will attach my kext for you. Should be in the next hour or so.

Edit: Class is boring so I got you the file :)

Overwrite your kext with mine then run the chown and chmod commands again then the kextutil command.

Attached Files:

20. BobPhin

BobPhin Bit poster

87racer,
    We have lift off. I followed these last instructions and all is good. Thank you ver much for your help and also your patience.
    Bob