Parallels Service & Amazonaws

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BennettD, May 19, 2011.

1. BennettD

BennettD Member

Hi,

I run Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac, build 6.0.11994. I am also running little snitch. For some reason, prl_disp_service keeps trying to connect to amazonaws.com. I'll deny a request, it tries a different ip address, rinse and repeat. This seems to be the only connection prl_disp_service tries to make.

My product has been activated and registered, so I'm not sure what its doing, but I feel like permanently blocking prl_disp_service from the Internet. Does anyone know what its trying to do and if this access needs to be open?

I know I'm being a nervous nelly, etc, but I don't like apps phoning home after being activated and registered if they don't "need" to.

Sorry for the paranoid request and thanks for the help :)

2. BennettD

BennettD Member

Bump

Did I mention this happens even after a clean boot with no VMs running?

3. zmonster

zmonster Member

Yes, me too. Why in the hell is Parallels connecting to Amazon compute cloud in the first place, especially before you even start Parallels?? I don't like this either.

4. Admiral

Admiral Bit poster

Amazonaws

Anyone find out more information on this? Little Snitch is showing intermittent connectivity to 50.19.108.26.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There are two reasons why Parallels would make external connections.

- Looking for updates
    - Parallels Mobile

Most likely it's the second one as it would be the most likely to use Amazon's cloud, Parallels mobile doesn't have an on/off switch, you can't actually deactivate it even if you don't use it.