Parallels start-up options

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AlanS13, Jan 26, 2021.

1. AlanS13

AlanS13 Bit poster

I am considering upgrading the O/S on my 2015 Macbook pro. I am running Parallels 11 under O/S 10.? I gather from the Parallels site that ver.11 will not run on newer Mac O/S I am currently running a trial of Parallels 16 on my Macbook Air under O/S 11.1. I have determined that ver 16 will host Win XP Sp3 and my legacy programs will run BUT very differently from on my MacBook Pro:
    On my Pro, running ver. 11 when I click the Parallels icon in the dock, the typical Windows Start screen comes up with my routinely used programs displayed. I select what I want and it starts. If I want to start a second program e.g. Word + Dragon Naturally Speaking, I click the Parallels icon and select. When done, I close the applications and everything (except the dock icon is gone.) (If I have used it before these actions, Windows is there in the background but does not show a start-up screen.

The experience with ver 16 is very different. When I click the Parallels icon, a full screen Windows start screen appears and goes through a complete start-up routine finishing with the desktop. I can choose from icons on the desktop or click to bring up the start screen and run from there. When I am finished, I have to return to the Start menu and select turn off to revert to my Mac desktop. This is far, far less convenient than the other above procedure. Is this a fundamental change in the interface or is my set-up incorrect?

2. Hello,
    please check the following options: VM configurations -> Options -> Startup and Shutdown -> Startup view -> and choose Window

Please let us know the results.

3. AlanS13

AlanS13 Bit poster

Thank you - I have been able to set an acceptable startup/shut down configuration.
    I have several additional questions:
    1. Under ver 11 I have the Outlook program from Office pinned to the Apple O/S dock so I can access it directly - how do I do the in ver 16?
    2. I routinely copy and paste from Microsoft Word to Apple programs - that's not working.
    3. If I decide to upgrade ver 11 to 16, will the upgrade simply install over my current VM programs or will I need to re-install them?

4. AlanS13

AlanS13 Bit poster

My purchase decision is awaiting reply to the above

5. Hello,
    1. You can run you Windows app, then find it in Mac dock-> add to to Launchpad and then drag and drop it from Launchpad to Mac dock.
    2. Please try to reinstall Parallels Tools and check the issue
    3. If you upgrade your Parallels Desktop your VM will be saved and all of your applications will work as usual inside your Windows VM after upgrade.
    You can also test Parallels Desktop 16 during the 14 days trial period before the purchase.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.