Parallels Stops Abruptly

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jesschoen, Mar 24, 2010.

1. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

I am using Parallels 5.0.9344 and recently have been having trouble with Parallels shutting down abruptly after the bootup seems to be complete. When this happens, I click on the Parallels icon in the dock and Parallels quickly relaunches without going through a full bootup. I am running Parallels from the Boot Camp partition.

Then I am asked to submit a serious crash report and after doing so Parallels seems to work fine except for one thing I have noticed. When I click on USB ports in devices, the particular USB device does not seem to register with the familiar boing and then the device disappears from the list.

I'm appreciative of comments on how to solve either problem.

Thanks.

James

2. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

An additional problem has surfaced. I notice that when Parallels stops abruptly, a few of the applications on the Mac disappear. I can put them back in easily with Time Machine but it obviously shouldn't be doing this.

In summary, Parallels running from the Boot Camp Partition on a MacMini using Parallels 5.0.9344 stops abruptly after bootup. Parallels appears to be fully booted up but the hard drive is grinding away; after 5-10 minutes, it stops abruptly and can be restored by clicking the Parallels application in the dock and then filing the required error report.
    After that, Parallels seems to be usable except that the usb ports in devices don't give the familiar boing when clicked and some applications disappear on the Mac.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times with no success. I should also mention that the problem of abrupt shutdown started about a week ago with an earlier version of Parallels (the one immediately before 5.0.9344). In an attempt to fix the problem, I upgraded to 5.0.9344 but that did not fix the problem.

Please advise how to stop the abrupt shutdowns. Thanks very much for any help.

James

3. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Some success in fixing the problem...

I tried various things to fix the abrupt termination (uninstalling, reinstalling, etc) but nothing worked. Then I decided to go back in Time Machine for about two weeks and restore every file I could find that had something to do with Parallels. I then reinstalled the software (9344). This stopped the abrupt shutdowns and stopped applications from disappearing on the Mac. However, the USB ports under devices are still not initializing correctly. I will post this problem as a separate item.

James