Parallels Tools, Build 18608, and Windows Server 2008 R2

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Barbatto, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Barbatto

Barbatto Junior Member

I just wanted to let the community know about my recent experience with Parallels Tools on Version 8.0.18608.898384.

I recently had some issues with clipboard synchronization on one of my VM's. I attempted to reinstall Parallels Tools only to encounter an error. Several reboots later, I started researching the problem which led me to the tools log, the CBS.log in Windows, numerous discussions surrounding "Error 1935", and tons of other things that never solved my problem.

I made the mistake of uninstalling Parallels Tools thinking that might assist in the reinstallation but no luck there. All that left me with was a VM stuck at 800x600 resolution and no network access.

Fortunately, I have a second Windows Server 2008 R2 VM that was not experiencing any issues at all and I decided to reinstall Parallels Tools. Again, failure. Now that I was familiar with the logs, I noticed the same things. 1935, IAssemblyCache...etc. etc. All of which seemed to lead me down a dead end when I researched them.

After some additional Googling, I learned where Parallels stores the updates it downloads (~/Library/Parallels/Downloads) and decided to revert to a previous version (18483). Install goes well, VM fires, up, and Parallels Tools installs w/o a problem.

Success!

Next up, install 18494. Parallels Tools installs once again. Lastly, I try 18608. Failure.

So at this point, I've reverted back to 18494 and am having no issues. I'm not sure why the 18608 tools installation fails on my two VM's but would be more than happy to provide any logs to Parallels Support if there's any interest.

Cheers,
    Anthony