Parallels Tools Build 6.0.11992 fails with Win XP Clients

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Thomas Helsel, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Thomas Helsel

Thomas Helsel Bit poster

I'm currently unable to update any of my half dozen or so Windows XP SP3 clients after updating Parallels to build 6.0.11992. In each case, the update stops when the parallels audio controler fails with the following:

"An error occurred during the installation of the device.

The data is invalid."

Any ideas? Any information I can provide?

2. Thomas Helsel

Thomas Helsel Bit poster

Sorry to be a pain in the hindquarters about this issue, but I'm really kinda stuck here. Any one have any thoughts?

3. rauckr

rauckr Member

4. Thomas Helsel

Thomas Helsel Bit poster

Hrmph. Thanks for the link rauckr. So, since I use Parallels as an integral part of my testing environment for my job and I can no longer run Windows XP, I guess I'm pretty much up a creek unless I downgrade? Is that the official party line at this point? This is really pretty terrible. Due to needing to run my software in a number of different configurations, I maintain about 30 different images. Upgrading is always a pain, and now this. I spent hours upgrading all of my WinVista and Win7 images, now I get to spend hours downgrading them? Whee. More time I can't bill my employers. Thanks Parallels!

5. rauckr

rauckr Member

Parallels vs Alternatives

I recently migrated to Parallels from VMware Fusion. I won't bore you with details of problems I had on the other side of the fence. They have their share of pain as well. This issue has been particularly difficult. I'm feeling better since the roll back and guest OS repair. Things are working well.