Parallels Tools Centos 6.8

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by barryjr, Aug 1, 2016.

1. barryjr

barryjr Bit poster

I upgraded Parallels Desktop to version 11.2.1 (32626) this morning.

I attempted to upgrade parallels tools for my Centos 6.8 VM. After that Centos would not boot. The last messages are "Starting Parallels tools daemon: done" "pro_nettool[1805]: call: prl_nettool pro_nettool.

I was able to re-boot Centos 6.8 at run level 1 and uninstall parallels tools. (run level 3 wouldn't work) After that I could boot Centos 6.8 and attempt to re-install the tools. I have tried this three times now with no better luck.

After parallels tools are installed (during the reboot process) Centos 6.8 doesn't shut down properly. It hangs with a message about shutting down the parallels tools daemon.

Anything else I can try?

2. DavidL16

DavidL16 Bit poster

Sorry, can't help, I've hit exactly the same problem, though I did manage to boot to run level 3 on one attempt* to remove, reboot, then reinstall parallels tools. This has worked for previous Parallels updates, but doesn't for the latest. For now, I've settled with removing Parallels tools and just using ssh to connect to the VM

* Not sure why it worked once. The rest of the time it fails. Like you, I've used runlevel 1. Sorry not to be of more help, nut on the remote chance anyone from Parallels reads the forum, it's not just affecting one person

3. DavidL16

DavidL16 Bit poster

I've just updated to Centos 6.9. Again booting failed. I managed to start in single user mode and manually installed Parallels Tools. It failed to boot after that. I then rebooted into single user mode and manually removed Parallels Tools. I then rebooted successfully (created a copy of the VM) and installed Parallels Tools in the GUI. Rebooted again, and it all seems to work fine now. Not sure what was going on before, nor why it seems to be working now!