Parallels Tools failed on update, running PTAgent.exe does nothing

DavidF42

Bit poster
I was notified of an update for Parallels, so I went ahead with it. When Parallels Tools tried to update, the installation failed, and now I am stuck with limited keyboard access only. I have run all the suggestions in these articles to no success:
https://kb.parallels.com/8969
https://kb.parallels.com/112609

The program files directory for parallels tools is empty, so there is nothing to uninstall.
When running PTAgent.exe, nothing happens. On the command line, it just returns immediately with no output.

I have attached the log file from the update that failed. Is there any way to reset this so that PTAgent can run? Or command line arguments that I can add to see why PTAgent is ending immediately?
 

Attachments

as of this week, I have the exact same issue when Parallels tried to update tools, errors around 55% in with only a reboot option - which puts everything back into VGA mode and unusable. Parallels Tools will not install - I have tried both those knowledge base articles too.
I did chat to support and they suspect Windows is corrupt. I can still install other software though.
All I have as an option is to keep going back to a snapshot and cancelling install as soon as Tools starts to update.
 
as of this week, I have the exact same issue when Parallels tried to update tools, errors around 55% in with only a reboot option - which puts everything back into VGA mode and unusable. Parallels Tools will not install - I have tried both those knowledge base articles too.
I did chat to support and they suspect Windows is corrupt. I can still install other software though.
All I have as an option is to keep going back to a snapshot and cancelling install as soon as Tools starts to update.
Did you perform the sfc/ scannow at the CMD?
 
Did you perform the sfc/ scannow at the CMD?

yes, all clear:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>
 
Back
Top